Record transfer fee for Torres
*Sky News doesn't have videos any more.
- .. the target for every footballer..
- … need not have worried about their loss
- … headed in from Tyneside (Newcastle)
- ... to plug the gap
- … for upwards of £
- …conceal his excitement
- … press conference
- ... on a dramatic transfer deadline day.
- … considering what was going on behind the scenes.
- There’s as good a chance of us getting someone else in as what there is someone going out.
- … a sense that they have seen this all before.
- … devastated
- … kicked back down
- … supporting the club
- I’m gutted in a way…
- ... to see it out
- … the end of the season
What do you think of such high transfer fees?
Do you think that footballers are worth the money they earn?
We all say silly things now and again (even David Bisbal!) but I think football players, managers, commentators and even fans say many more.
Here is a selection of quotes:
'I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.' - Ian Rush
Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side.'
'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.' - David Beckham
'Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.' - David Beckham
'Sometimes in football you have to score goals.' - Thierry Henry
'We lost because we didn't win.' - Ronaldo
'I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George Ndah had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing.' - Ade Akinbiyi
'I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable.' - Paul Gascoigne
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. (a funny comment not a stupid one) - George Best
"I'm going to make a prediction - it could go either way." - Terry Venables
"And with 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0." - Ron Atkinson
"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer." - Ian Dark
"He's one of those footballers whose brains are in his head." - Mick Lyons
Jimmy Hill: "Don't sit on the fence Terry, what chance do you think Germany has got of getting through?"
Terry Venables: "I think it's fifty - fifty."
'The philosophy of a lot of European teams, even in home matches, is not to give a goal away.' - Alex Ferguson
'Paolo Di Canio is capable of scoring the goal he scored.' - Bryan Robson
'I was a young lad when I was growing up.' - David O'Leary
I have tried to find quotes from Spanish football players but have been unsuccessful. I can't believe the likes of Guti haven't made any stupid comments.
What is the word or expression (select from green words above) fo the following definitions? :
- It's where people give information to the media.
- It's a slang word for alcohol.
- It's a verb that mens to go in a particular direction.
- It's a boy or a man.
- These are two words that mean the same. Which is the slang one?
- This is when you dont want to give an opinion or you don't have one.
- You need to complete things before this time or date.
- In football, you get this when the referee shows you a card.
- This is a slang word for a woman.
- It's a verb which means that you get comfortable in a place or with a situation.
- It's a verb which means you waste something.
- This means "more than".
- This means that you are no sure if the decision was the right one or not.
- This means to show quickly.
- It's a verb that means to hide.
- This is something that someone says which is repeated.
- This happens to a baby, it's like baptized.
- This means that something went wrong because of something you did.
- You have done this in football when the ball goes in the net.
- This is the period when the football league is happening.