Spanish Revolution ?

Spanish protesters head for standoff with police in Madrid square


Thousands of anti-government protesters in Madrid and other cities refuse to leave as interior minister warns of intervention


Thousands of protesters who are camped out in Madrid's central Puerta del Sol square and in dozens more Spanish cities have pledged to defy an order to pack up their tent cities and leave.

Source: Guardian

Vocabulary:

to gather:

to head for stg:

a standoff:

to pledge:

to defy:

to uphold the law:

a mattress:

to get rid of stg/sb:

to wheel out:

tarpaulin (n):

decked with:

crew (n):

an aim:

a cheer:

to tackle (a problem):

a perk:

as long as:


Comments

Paloma said…
Hello Graham: I am very happy with this movement. I don' know which will be its end, but I think that all people (or almost all people)need a cries of protest, we need some different what moves our society and I love that this movement begins whit the young persons. This night I'am going to Puerta del Sol square whit my friends, maybe to remember others periods old when we were younger and we believed can change the world. You see
Montse said…
I like this movement, too, but I’m not sure what is going to happen with this from now on.
Graham said…
Hi Paloma

I am very happy with the work you and your classmates did in class today. I get the feeling (I hope you do too) that you are making good progress.


I am very happy ABOUT this movement. I don't know HOW IT WILL ALL END, but I think that EVERYONE (or almost EVERYONE)NEEDS TO PROTEST ABOUT SOMETHING, we need SOMETHING THAT "AWAKENS" our society and I love that this movement WAS BEGUN BY YOUNG PEOPLE. TONIGHT I am going to Puerta del Sol square WITH my friends, maybe to remember TIMES when we were younger and we believed WE COULD change the world.


I am disappointed you didn't take a mattress with you!
Graham said…
Montse,

It hasn't quite turned out to be a revolution. It seems they will be packing up and heading home in the next few days.