American leaves dentist with British accent

Would you ever believe that an American woman from Portland, Oregon who talks like this:

“Hi this is Karen, sorry I can’t come to the phone at the moment.” (Video: KATU)

Could leave a dentist appointment sounding like this?

“Oh where are you from, where did you get that accent? Well I got it from my dentist in Toledo!” (Video: WEWS)

Karen Butler suffers from an extremely rare disorder, Foreign Accent Syndrome.




Vocabulary:

to suffer from:

a stroke:

to blame:

puzzled (adj):

to point out:

an oddity:

a backlash:

a great deal of stg:

willingness:

outgoing (adj):


Comments

Montse said…
Graham, this is the first time I’ve learnt something like that. I’ll think about it before I go to the dentist.
Graham said…
Montse,

Just imagine coming round and finding you speak Spanish with an English accent. What a nightmare!

Most people dread going to the dentist's already; now there is an additional worry.
Graham said…
Hi Montse,

Imagine coming round and finding that you speak Spanish with an English accent. What a nightmare!

Most people already dread going to the dentist's; this story will just make people more nervous.



This is the first time that I'VE HEARD OF something like that.