Barcelona to ban bikinis from streets


Barcelona is famous around the world for its louche, anything goes atmosphere.

But it seems Catalans have had enough of cleavage, and now the Mediterranean resort city is getting tough on those who dare to bare.

Tourists who wander the streets of Barcelona in just their swimming costumes - or less - will now face stiff fines.

Source: Daily Mail


Vocabulary:

louche -

anything goes -

to get tough on stg -

to dare to do stg -

to bare -

to wander -

to face (a fine) -

a fine -

stiff (punishment) -

to set to -

to come into force -

an influx -

to peak -

trunks -

liable -

up to (€300) -

outraged (adj) -

to shake off (a problem) -

to bother -

scantily clad -

a lager lout -

a binge drinker -

a can (of beer) -



What do you think of this new rule?


Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham. I read the article and I agree with the band. People must behave according with the circumstances. When I go to the beach I don’t like seeing people in swimsuit in the restaurants.
Montse said…
Sorry, Graham: where I wrote “band” I wanted to write “ban”.
Graham said…
Montse,

I'm in two minds on this one. A ban seems a bit much. You can't fine people for how they choose to walk around a city. In a restaurant, it is up to the owner whether he enforces a ban on swimming costumes.


People must behave IN ACCORDANCE WITH the circumstances. When I go to the beach I don’t like seeing people in SWIMSUITS in the restaurants.