Phrasal verbs review 2

Six months have passed since the first Phrasal Verbs review.

It's about time we did another one. So here goes.

First you should review the phrasal verbs in posts since then. Do you make use of the labels?

So the phrasal verbs are the following:
  • to stand out
  • to carry on
  • to turn out
  • to come up
  • to blow up
  • to go off
  • to get away with
  • to end up
  • to come up with
  • to boss around
  • to stick up for
  • to be down to
  • to bump into
  • to turn up
  • to pass away

Put the above phrasal verbs into the correct form into the following sentences:
  1. That was the boss on the phone. Something ___. I have to go back to the office.
  2. Thanks for ___ me. You are a good friend.
  3. He was surprised when his ex ___ at the party.
  4. She is so beautiful that she ___ wherever she goes.
  5. The car ___ in a quiet neighbourhood so fortunately nobody was hurt.
  6. You'll never guess who I ___ on the way here. Kate. We talked for half an hour or so.
  7. Stop ___ me ___. I'll decide myself when I am going.
  8. Can you ___ a better idea? I've tried my best.
  9. She ___ as if nothing had happened.
  10. We usually ___ arguing when we go on holiday together.
  11. He was so confident. He thought he ___ it but in the end they found out he was lying.
  12. I was really worried but things ___ well in the end.
  13. Her success ___ hard work and determination.
  14. The old lady ___ peacefully in her sleep.
  15. I think this cheese ___ so I'll throw it away.

Comments

Natalia said…
Those are my answers:
1. That was the boss. Something blew up. I have to go back to the office
2. Thanks for sticking up for me. You are a good friend.
3. He was surprised when his ex came up at the party.
4. She is so beautiful that she stands out wherever she goes.
5. The car turned up in a quiet neighbourhood so fortunately nobody was hurt.
6. You'll never guess who I bumped into on the way home.
7. Stop bossing me around. I'll decide myself when I am going.
8. Can you come up with a better idea? I've tried my best.
9. She carried on as if nothing had happened.
10. We usually end up arguing when we go on holiday together.
11. He was so confident. He thought he'd get away with it but in the end they found out he was lying.
12. I was really worried but things turned out well in the end.
13. Her success is down to hard work and determination.
14. The old lady passed away peacefully in her sleep.
15. I think this cheese has gone off so I'll throw away.
Graham said…
You just got numbers 1, 3 and 5 mixed up. Well done! PVs aren't easy but they are a must learn.

1. That was the boss. Something HAS COME UP (unexpectedly happened) I have to go back to the office. (BLEW UP could make sense here if you say the computer exploded)

3. He was surprised when his ex TURNED UP (arrived) at the party.

5. The car BLEW UP (exploded) in a quiet neighbourhood so fortunately nobody was hurt.
Mario Jiménez said…
Hi graham i did another exercise about pharsal verbs, and i´m so satisfied because i known the meaning of most of the pharsal verbs. Here is the answer

1.- That was the boss on the phone. Something comimg up. I have to go back to the office.
2.- Thanks for stick up for me. You are a good friend.
3.- He was surprised when his ex turned up at the party.
4.- She is so beautiful that she stands out wherever she goes.
5.- The car blew up in a quiet neighbourhood so fortunately nobody was hurt.
6.- You'll never guess who I bumped into on the way here. Kate. We talked for half an hour or so.
7.- Stop boss me around. I'll decide myself when I am going.
8.- Can you come up with a better idea? I've tried my best.
9.- She carryed on as if nothing had happened.
10.- We usually ended up arguing when we go on holiday together.
11.- He was so confident. He thought he will get away with it but in the end they found out he was lying.
12.- I was really worried but things went off well in the end.
13.- Her success turned out to be hard work and determination.
14.- The old lady passed away peacefully in her sleep.
15.- I think this cheese is down to so I'll throw it away.
Graham said…
Mario,

As I said the other day, there is no escaping Phrasal Verbs.

It's a long journey but not an impossible one.

You should slowly introduce them into your vocabulary.


1. That was the boss on the phone. Something has come up. I have to go back to the office.

2. Thanks for sticking up for me. You are a good friend.

7. Stop bossing me around. I'll decide myself when I am going.


9.- She carried on as if nothing had happened.

10.- We usually end up arguing when we go on holiday together.

11.- He was so confident. He thought he would get away with it but in the end they found out he was lying.

12.- I was really worried but things turned out well in the end.

13.- Her success is down to hard work and determination. (to be down to = because of = to be due to)

15.- I think this cheese is off so I'll throw it away.


Well done! Keep it up.