Module 6 Right or Wrong?

Correct the sentences if they are wrong.
  1. Always remember giving a firm handshake at the start of an interview.
  2. Avoid translating word for word. Try to translate the idea if anything.
  3. The Thursday is my favourite day of the week by far.
  4. The Scots are much friendlier than the English.
  5. I like the Italian fashion but I prefer the Spanish food.
  6. It's important don't to overdo it. Start by jogging ten minutes each day.
  7. I've had an absolutely dreadful day. I should have stayed at home.
  8. It was really nice of you to do what you did. You are so kind.
  9. The last Thursday I went to the theatre for the first time in ages.
  10. It was you who suggested going; it wasn't my idea..
  11. I really do think you should take your time before making a decision.
  12. You rang her on the Sunday before you went away.
  13. A: Do you know what the longest river in the world is? B: I think it's the Nile.
  14. A: They have two children - a son and a daughter. B: Do the children go to the university?
  15. What time did you go to the bed at the weekend?
  16. A: I'm so stressed out. I have got so much work at the moment. B: What you need is a holiday.
  17. If you aren't used to write in English, you might make too many mistakes.
  18. It's been such a long time since I had such a fun.
  19. Why on earth do you say such silly things?
  20. What I really meant to say was I love you.

Comments

peekandpack said…
Hi Graham,
I,m sorry, I couldn't go to the last class. I had a meeting.

The answers, I think:

2.- Thursday is my favourite day of...
5.- I like Italian fashion, but I prefer Spanish food
9.-Last thursday I went...
12.-You rang her the sunday before...
14.- They have two children, a son and a daughter. Do children go to University?...
15.- What time did you go to bed....?

See you tomorrow
Graham said…
Hi Susana,

I thought you had got snowed in the other day.

You did this exercise quite well even though you haven't studied this module. :-)

You corrected 2,5,9 and 15 well.
You shouldn't have corrected 12 - it's fine as it is.
You were right to correct 14 but it should read B: Do THE children go to University?

There are another three mistakes. Can you find them?

Go to labels and do the Cutting Edge Int tasks. They are more relevant to what you have studied.

See you tomorrow.
Marta said…
1. Always remember to give a firm handshake at the start of an interview.

3. Thursday is my favourite day of the week by far.
4. Scots are much friendlier than English.
5. I like Italian fashion but I prefer Spanish food.
6. It's important not to overdo it. Start by jogging ten minutes each day.

12. You rang her the Sunday before you went away.

17. If you aren't used writing in English, you might make too many mistakes.
Graham said…
When we refer to the people of a country we use "the" eg the Spanish, the Chinese...
so nº4 is correct
but if we show the nationlity as an adjective we would say:
Scottish people are friendlier than English people.

6. It's important not to overdo it. Start by jogging ten minutes each day.

12. You rang her the Sunday before you went away.

17. If you aren't USED TO WRITING in English, you might make too many mistakes.

The mistakes were in Nºs 1,3,5,6,9,12,14,15,17 and 18.

Nº18 was a mistake that neither you nor Susana spotted. It should read:
It's been such a long time since I had SUCH FUN.