Quiet!


Be quiet! = stop talking.

Can you keep quiet while I'm on the phone? = Don't make so much noise.

The town centre was very quiet today. = It wasn't busy.

You are very quiet today. What's the matter? = You aren't speaking much. What's wrong?

I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet. = I'm going to a place where there isn't much activity or excitement and no stress

Why did you keep quiet about your new job? = Why didn't you tell anybody about it?


 ¡estáte quieto! = Don't move! Stay still! Stand still! Sit still! Stop fidgeting! (NOT Be quiet!)


He's always very calm. (tranquilo) = He doesn't get angry or stressed out.

She's so laid-back. (tranquilo) = She is really relaxed about things. She doesn't let things worry her.

Tranquilo! = Relax! (NOT Quiet! and NOT Silence!)

Tú, tranquilo, lo haré yo = Don't worry! I'll do it.

Ahora que estás aqui estoy más tranquilo = I feel much better now that you are here. (NOT more quiet)


Someone wrote to me saying "I hope that this weekend I'll have time to read your blog quietly."

She should have said "calmly" or "without any rush".


To summarise, don't always use quiet to translate the idea of quieto or tranquilo.

Comments

cristina said…
Ok, now I´ll say to my pupils correctly!
It´s very useful the section: Confusing words!
cristina said…
Next week I´ll start to use this sentences in my class, I´ll need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My pupils are nervous and talkers
Graham said…
I think the Confusing words section is useful too. Another word that I will add is "nervous".

I'll SAY IT CORRECTLY!

I'll start to use THESE SENTENCES. I'll need THEM!

Nervous suggests they are a bit afraid. I'd say fidgety.
Carol said…
Hi Graham, How was your weekend?and your computer?are you solving all the problems with it? I hope so. Thank you for your information about expressions about quiet. I would like to know more about it and about short sentences to use with the pupils, like be quiet, stand still or relax.
Graham said…
Unfortunately, I haven't discovered what the problem is. I wish I knew more about computing.
Anonymous said…
Graham, I read it. Very interesting. Today I'm study a lot of English.

Montse
Graham said…
You ARE STUDYING a lot - it's true. Keep up the good work. Maybe others will follow your example.