Noisy Kinder

Noisy children no longer verboten in Berlin 

Children in the German capital Berlin are to be exempt from strict laws on noise pollution.

An amendment to the city's law now makes it "fundamentally and socially tolerable" for members of the younger generation to make a racket.

Berlin has become the first of Germany's 16 federal states to adopt such legislation.

But all Berliners - children included - must continue to respect the official quiet time at night and all day Sunday.

Until now, only church bells, emergency sirens, snow ploughs and tractors have fallen outside the stringent rules on excessive noise in Germany.

In Berlin alone, hundreds of complaints are made each year about noise levels in kindergartens and children's playgrounds.

Some day-care facilities have even been forced to close after local residents have gone to court in search of a quiet life.

 Now Berlin's local government, the senate, has passed a law giving children the right to be noisy, the first law of its kind in Germany.

Axel Strohbusch, from Berlin's Department of Noise Protection, said it was "the first time we have it written in law that we have to consider the rights of children to shout and make noise while they are growing up and this must be considered by all the neighbours".

Germany's organisation for child protection told AFP news agency it welcomed the move, saying: "We live in a city and children should be allowed to play and make noise."


Vocabulary:

to be exempt from sth -

to make a racket -

a snow plough -

stringent (adj) -

(to make) a complaint / to complain -

to go to court -


I think the original law wasn't such a bad idea. Many parents let their children scream to their heart's content, no matter where they are.

Do you think the law was a good or a bad one?

See also a previous post about noise in Spain.

Comments

cristina said…
It was wonderful when the last summer I was in Munich and Berlin (at Easter) for holidays and children were polite!!!!!!!!!!!
Parents can visit museums with their children, and they are looking the pictures, no running or playing like in Spain!!!!!!
We must learn it!!
Graham said…
It was wonderful when I was in Munich LAST SUMMER and IN Berlin at Easter ON HOLIDAY and children were polite!!!!!!!!!!!
Parents can visit museums with their children, and they are LOOKING AT the pictures, NOT running or playing like in Spain!!!!!!
We must learn FROM THEM!!

I tend to agree. I think children can be as noisy as they like in environments made for them - playgrounds, play parks etc; but should be taught to be quiet when in places outside of that environment. Alas in Spain....!

I was in Berlin last year too. I hadn't been there for about 18 years before that and so it was interesting to see the changes.

I'd like to go back to Munich too. It was so long ago and I didn't spend much time there, but I remember a very pleasant city.
Marta said…
I'm agree with the idea of considering the rights of children to shout and make noise but just in some places. So, I agree with Cristina because I can't stand children running and shouting in a museum, in a restaurant,... Nowadays, parents ignore their children in that situations. When I was a child, I could play but without bother other people.
I think today people is too much permissive with children than a few years ago. We've forgotten to establish some limits.
Marta said…
I've just read the text Noisy Spain... and the noise that really get on my nerves is the noise who makes a beginner in piano. When I was living at my parent's we had two neighbors who were taking up with it!
It was horrible!
Graham said…
I AGREE with the idea of considering the rights of children to shout and make noise but just in some places. So, I agree with Cristina because I can't stand children running and shouting in MUSEUMS, RESTAURANTS AND SO ON. Nowadays, parents ignore their children in SUCH situations. When I was a child, I could play but WITHOUT BOTHERING other people.
I think PEOPLE TODAY ARE *TOO PERMISSIVE with children COMPARED TO a few years ago. We've forgotten to SET limits.

* too + adjectives
too much/many + nouns
verb + too much

When I was living at my parents' we had two neighbors who HAD TAKEN IT UP.

Would it have made a difference if they were professional pianists?
Marta said…
I think that a professional pianist doesn't need four years to learn the same song which become hateful.
Before my experience with beginners in piano, that music doesn't annoy me...
Graham said…
"Hello Dolly" didn't use to annoy me but it really gets on my nerves when I hear it now. I have already heard it once in the square this year.

It's about time I moved house.