Confusing Words - Terrific

Don't think terrific means terrorífico!


We had a terrific time. = We had a great time.

We had terrific weather this summer. = We had fantastic weather this summer.

Wow! That's a terrific idea. = That's an excellent idea.

You look terrific.

You are a terrific friend.

Terrific usually has a positive sense. It is an informal adjective. It is an example of an extreme adjective, so we can use it with "absolutely"

Did you enjoy the match? It was absolutely terrific.


Terrorífico which has the idea of fear can be translated as (absolutely) terrifying or (very) frightening.

In another sense (un terrorífico error, una terrorífica decisión), it can be translated as horrific or dreadful.

Can you think of an actor or actress who gave a terrific performance in a film? Why were they so good in the role?

When did you last have a terrific holiday? Why was it so good? What are the ingredients for a terrific holiday?

Comments

cristina said…
The label "confusing words" are the best way for learners like me, it´s a terrific idea!
Graham said…
I think you will find the post on false and fickle friends from 10th Nov 2007 interesting too.

Remember always to write a short comment even if you just read a post.

See you tomorrow.
Marta said…
For me there are several kinds of holidays which can be considered as "terrific". But right now, the holidays I miss the most are a summer in Cádiz.
The ingredients for it are:
-an uninhabited beach,
-sun and heat
-no "levante" (that means, the wind which blows from the east in the Gulf of Cádiz)
-an interesting book
-evenings in a pleasant "chiringuito", eating fried fish and drinking cold bier.
Graham said…
I still haven't been to Cadiz. I've been meaning to go every summer for the last few years. I hope I will, at last, be able to go this year.

I've been to Cabo de Gata along the Alemria coast and I loved it.
It's unusual to find UNSPOILT COASTLINES AND CROWD-FREE BEACHES along the Mediterranean coast.
Anonymous said…
My "terrific" holidays were five o six years ago. We went to Valle de Arán, in Pirineos with my sister's family. We went camping. The weather was sunny and mild and the scenary was very beautiful.

Montse
Graham said…
"Mild" usually describes a winter that isn't very cold or a climate that is neither too hot or too cold.

In the summer: "warm" suggests a pleasant temperature whereas "cool" suggests a poor temperature.

I'd love to go to Valle de Arán - I've heard about it before. Another one to add to my list.