First Conditional


We studied the First Conditional structure the other day in class.
  • Future Possibility, + Result
  • If + Present, + will/won't
A: What will you do if it rains? B: We'll stay in the hotel (if it rains). It has a health club.
If my mother phones, will you tell her to phone back this evening?
I'll be really annoyed if she doesn't come to my party.
If you follow my advice, you won't regret it.
A: Will you give me a lift if there is a train strike? B: Of course I will.
N.B. Sentence that start with if have a comma between the clauses.

If isn't the only conjunction that we can use with the First Conditional.

We can also use when to describe certain futures:

When I am 40, I'll celebrate with a huge party.
A: The oven doesn't work. B: I'll fix it when I have the time.
What will he do when he retires?
A: Will you see her when you are there? No, I won't.

There are other conjunctions (before, after, as soon as, until, unless) that we can use with the First Conditional:

We won't start the meeting until he arrives.
Will you have dinner before you go to the theatre?
As soon as I know, I will give you a call.
We'll start making dinner after the film finishes.
I won't make a decision until I speak to everyone.


What do you do if it will be busy? 😡
What will you do if it is busy?  😍 

I will continue working until my colleague will return from lunch. 😡
I will continue working until my colleague returns from lunch.  😍 

N.B. We use the present tense, never will, to describe the first future event and then will to describe the result of that event.

There are alternatives to "will":

You must let me know if you change your mind.
You should visit the castle when you are in Edinburgh.
If he doesn't come with me, I might not go.

Following the structure of the first conditional, complete these sentences.
  1. I'll be really happy if ...
  2. I'll be amazed if ...
  3. Will you be annoyed if ...?
  4. You'll get sunburnt if ...
  5. You'll catch a cold if ...
  6. If you don't hurry up, ...
  7. If he doesn't study, ...
  8. Will you send me an e-mail when
  9. ... when I have the time.
  10. ... until I get home ... as soon as the lesson finishes.
  11. I might go away this weekend if ...
  12. I won't phone her until ...
  13. As soon as it stops raining, ...
  14. Will the Prime Minister resign if ...?
  15. Where will you stay if ...?
  16. If you give up smoking, ...
  17. When I get a pay rise, ...
  18. You should make more effort if ...
  19. If governments don't take action now ...
You can find further practice on the First Conditional, in episode 24 of the Flatmates.

Listen to the conversation, then read the Language Point and finally do the Quiz to check your understanding.



Comments

Miriam said…
Hi Graham:

How are you?

I´ll be really happy if my close family and my friends are happy.
And,of course if my teacher is happy too.

I,ll be amazed if I travel soon.

Will you be annoyed if you think we are bad in class?

You´ll get sunburnt if you don´t use sun protection and the weather is better.

You´ll catch a cold if you don´t wear a coat.

If you don´t hurry up,You´ll get late at work.

If he doesn´t study, he won´t pass the exam.
Hi Graham:

Will you send me an e-mail when you arrive at home?

When I have the time, I´ll go to visit my friend in Santiago.

Until I get home, I won´t have a rest.

This exercise is a bit long,and I´m afraid to lose it.

I leave some of them for others.

Thank you and have a very good weekend¡¡¡
Graham said…
Do you mean that it helps refresh your mind, Susana? :-)
Graham said…
Hi Miriam,

I'm fine now that the weekend is in sight.

I'll be happy if my students work hard and make progress. :-)

I'll be amazed if I GET TO TRAVEL soon. Does that mean you are so busy that you don't have the time to have a holiday?

I'll be furious if I think that you are bad in class!

If you don't hurry up, YOU'LL BE LATE FOR WORK.

Will you send me an e-mail when you ARRIVE/GET HOME?

This EXERCISE is a bit long and I'm AFRAID OF LOSING it.

I'LL leave some of them for others.

Have a good weekend and keep up the good work!
Miriam said…
Hi Graham:

I hope never being so busy how you say.

You can be dangerous if we are bad,but we are very good¡¡ Aren´t we?

Thank you and enjoy your weekend¡
Graham said…
I HOPE I WILL NEVER BE AS BUSY AS you say.

I love travelling too but unfortunately I can't afford to go to a far away place.

I'd love to discover South America one day.

Dangerous? Me?! You'd better keep being good then. :-)

See you Monday!
Montse said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said…
Well done, Montse!

• I'll be really happy if HE COMES with me.
• I'll be amazed if he doesn’t TRUST ME.
• Will you be annoyed if they don’t ATTEND CLASS?
• You'll get sunburnt if you don’t PUT ON sun cream.
• I WON'T EAT until I get home. ("will buy food" doesn't make sense here)
• I won't phone her until SHE CALLS me.
• If you give up smoking, I’ll give you a PRESENT /GIFT.
María Rossignoli Montero said…
I'll be really happy if I have a birthday party.

I'll be amazed if we go to watch the new movie.

Will you be annoyed if I switch channel?

You'll get sunburnt if you don't put sunscream.

You'll catch a cold if you take of the coat.

If you don't hurry up, we'll be late.

If he doesn't study, he can/will fail the exam.

Will you send me an e-mail when you arrive home?

I'll clean the house when I have the time.

I wont call you until I get home.

I'll do my chores as soon as the lesson finishes.

I might go away this weekend if it doesn't rain.

I won't phone her until she apologizes.

As soon as it stops raining, we will go to the gym.

Will the Prime Minister resign if paparizzis discover his cover up?

Where will you stay if you quit your job?

If you give up smoking, you'll be much healthier.

When I get a pay rise, I'll make a big party.

You should make more effort if I get a promotion.

If governments don't take action now, tomorrow will be too late.