No need for English lessons?

Don't bother to learn foreign languages: Google to launch smartphones that will translate for you in real time 

It could be the end of learning a foreign language. Internet giant Google is developing software which it claims will be able to translate conversations almost instantaneously. 

Like a real-life Babel Fish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the firm says it would enable people to communicate without understanding a word of one another's mother tongue

Based on Google's existing software for automatically converting websites and documents into a different language, it would use a voice recognition system to translate real-time speech. 

While it sounds like the stuff of science fiction, the multinational says the technology could be available on phones within a couple of years. 

However sceptics are likely to point out that text automatically translated by Google is currently littered with grammatical errors. 

Meanwhile linguists doubt whether voice recognition technology will be able to cope with a full range of regional accents for many years to come. 

Best known for its Internet search engine, Google unveiled its first mobile phone last month, the Nexus One. 

Intended as a rival for Apple's iPhone, it already features voice recognition technology, but it is the prospect of combining this with automatic translation software that promises a communication revolution. 

If it can be perfected, the system would enable a customer to call someone who speaks a different language and automatically have their conversation translated so they could understand one another. 

Rather than translating word for word, the phone would act like a human interpreter, waiting to hear short sections of speech to enable it to glean the sense before 'saying' them in a different language. 

Franz Och, Google's head of translation services, said: 'We think speech-to-speech translation should be possible and work reasonably well in a few years' time. 

'Clearly, for it to work smoothly, you need a combination of high-accuracy machine translation and high-accuracy voice recognition, and that's what we're working on.' 

While early versions of Google's website translation software sometimes produced little more than gobbledegook, an ever-growing database has enabled it to achieve far greater accuracy. 

So far it covers 52 of the world's estimated 6,000 languages, the latest being Haitian Creole. 

Google admits speech will be an even tougher challenge than text but says a customer's phone would adapt to its user by 'learning' their style of talking. 

'Everyone has a different voice, accent and pitch,' said Mr Och. 'But recognition should be effective with mobile phones because by nature they are personal to you.' 

And as with automatic text translation, what may begin as a fairly primitive technique will, Google hopes, become more sophisticated with the help of millions of users around the world. 

However language experts believe the prospect of such technology supplanting the ability to speak a foreign tongue is a distant one. 

David Crystal, honorary professor of linguistics at Bangor University, said the problems of dealing with speed of speech and range of accents could prove insurmountable

'No system at the moment can handle that properly,' he added. In Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the Babel Fish was a small yellow creature capable of translating any language when placed in a person's ear. 

It sparked a bloody war because everyone became able to understand what other people were saying.
 
Source: Daily Mail

Comments

Bill Chapman said…
Good luck to Google with their planned translator phone. I think they have underestimasted the complications they face!

My money is on a non-technological solution - Esperanto.
Miriam said…
Hi Graham:

I hope you are rested, because I think you´ll have work for ever.

I need to understand people who is talking to me. Machine can be useful to ask a direction or to impersonal questions,but it´s impossible you can tell your problems or your good news to somebody who needs a machine to understand you.
Graham said…
I don't think you are on a winner with Esperanto, Bill.

Most British don't make an effort to learn any language even when they live abroad. They are just content to let others do the hard work.

I agree that we won't see any decent translator phone for a long time yet.
Graham said…
Hi Miriam

I had a really lazy weekend. So I have had plenty of rest.

People ARE... (think PopulAR)

MACHINES can be useful to ask impersonal questions or ASK FOR directions but it´s impossible you can tell your problems or your good news to somebody who needs a machine to understand you.

I totally agree with you.

See you later.
Marta said…
I think it's a good idea to be able to communicate with people all over the world.
We have to be realistic: we can't learn all the languages. I think this is a very useful tool to travel.
I hope Google achieve this software. Anyway, I will keep on studying at least two languages.
Graham said…
I hope Google MANAGES TO INVENT such software too.

What other langiage are you studying apart from English? How do you find studying two languages at the same time?
Marta said…
I agree with Brian: this stuff is a whim for "rich" people (people from a rich country).
I'm studying French. It's difficult to learn two languages at the same time. Anyway French an English are easy to separate (?) in my mind.
I've been studying German for five years (between 1997 to 2002) and I had to stop studying it when I began with English.
When I don't konw an english word my mind uses a German word to replace it. I have to be careful with that because, still today I mix these languages.
Graham said…
I HAD been studying German for five years (between 1997 to 2002) BUT THEN I had to stop studying it when I began with English.

Even after leaving Italy almost nine years ago, I can still get Italian muddled up with Spanish. Some words come easier to me in Italian. At first it helped me to understand conversations in Spanish but now it is a hinderance.

I am always amazed how some people can switch from one language to another with relative ease.