San Blas storks

Today is San Blas. This morning I caught the end of a TV report from the neighbourhood of the same name. I don't really know if there are any special celebrations or traditions that surround this particular saint, but it reminded me of a saying.

Por San Blas, la cigueña verás, y si no la vieres, año de nieves.

By the day of San Blas you will see the stork and if you don't see it, year of snow.

Por San Blas, la cigueña verás y si no la vieras, mal año vendrá.

By San Blas, the stork you will see and if you don't see it, a bad year will come.


I didn't discover if the storks had arrived yet or not.


Do you have any favourite sayings? Many are related to the weather.
















In the backround of the photo on the left, you can just about make out a stork in its nest. There were plenty of them to see around Caceres.

I was there around March last year. The storks were tending to their young and the strange sound that they make could be heard all around town.

They are impressive birds, whether on top of a roof or in flight.

Their nests are huge and are built to last for years. I suppose they return to the same nest every year but maybe it's a case of first come first served.

Which bird or animal amazes you?


Comments

Anonymous said…
I was going to read something about SAN BLAS, but...there is no text under the headline!
Graham said…
Patience, patience!

You could always read another post in the meantime. There are plenty to choose from.

Anyway, I've now completed the post on San Blas. :-)

Who are you by the way?
Mercedes Pastor said…
Mercedes, Estela and Cristina, your favourite pupils, know a famous Spanish saying, which says:

"Cuando el grajo vuela bajo, hace un frio del carajo, cuando vuela por los rincones hace un frio de c..."
Estela said…
Hi, Graham
The anonymous was me. I don´t know why, but my name doesn´t appear in "comments"... Oh, I´m not sure but I think there´s a possibility to mend it. I´m going to try!
Graham said…
Hello girls!

Well, do you want to translate that saying for me?!

I'm reminded of the time I went shopping in Madrid with my mother many years ago. My Spanish was much worse than it is now. My mother wanted to buy cushion covers. I asked the shop assistant for cubiertas para c...

I learnt from that day the word for a cushion cover - funda de cojín.

Do you have any other interesting sayings?
Rocio said…
I hate the birds, all kinds of them. I have a dog Kiko, it´s a Spagniel Breton, white with brown spots, and the hair smooth.
Rocio
Graham said…
OK Now your name appears as Estela!
Graham said…
Hi Rocio!

I hate BIRDS (see exercises on articles :-)) all kinds of them.

But how can you hate birds? They are beautiful, fascinating creatures.

I have a dog Kiko, it´s a Breton spaniel, white with brown spots, and SMOOTH HAIR.

I had to google the breton spaniel to see what kind of dog it was.

The two dogs that I have had were both mongrels.


By the way, what you sent me is very tricky. I'll have another go later.