Ban on Valentine's


Ban on
Valentine's Day cards at school

A primary school in Weston-super-Mare has been criticised for banning Valentine cards to save pupils the "emotional trauma" of being rejected.

Children at Ashcombe Primary School were stopped from exchanging cards because the head teacher said they were not emotionally mature enough to cope.

Peter Turner told parents of the 430 pupils that cards would be confiscated.

One pupil's mother said: "I think it's outrageous. They're just children. Why spoil their fun?"

The woman, whose son attends the school, said: "It's comical really. I couldn't believe it when I saw the newsletter.

"My son is six and he's had a little girlfriend since nursery. They say they're going to get married, but we don't read anything into it."

Mr Turner said in the newsletter that children get upset when they are "dumped" which interrupts their learning.

He said children should wait until they are mature enough emotionally and socially to understand the commitment in having a boyfriend or girlfriend.

A woman who has a seven-year-old at the school said: "I think it's absolutely ridiculous.

'Parents laughing'

"It's a tradition, I can remember when I used to receive cards from boys in school. It's a lovely thing to do.

"Most of the parents were laughing about it, but the children are wondering what's going on because they've sent cards before."

Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe also criticised the move.

She said: "It's only a bit of fun once a year and it doesn't mean anything to kids that age.

"I just think it is rather silly. Haven't they anything better to worry about at that school?"

A spokesman for North Somerset Council said the head teacher was happy to discuss the issue with any parents who have concerns.

He said: "Ashcombe is a primary school and they believe that children under the age of 11 are still emotionally and socially developing and therefore cards declaring love can be confusing.

"Any families wishing to send cards are asked to send them in the post or deliver to home addresses by hand."


Vocabulary:

cope -


 

 

How do you celebrate Valentine's? Or if you don't, how is it celebrated here in Spain?

Happy Valentine's! 

Comments

peekandpack said…
Hi Graham,

I think it's rather silly!
It's true? What a pity!!!
But thanks, because this article is more easy than the other texts.

Have a good weekend
See you on monday
Graham said…
Hi Susana

Hope you had a good weekend.

Yes, this story is true. Do such things happen in Spain?

I don't change the articles in any way. Some of them are very difficult for you but they are usually short. Take a note of vocabulary as you would in class.

See you later.
Marta said…
I don't know now but when I was a child nobody used to send messages on Valentine's. I think that is an new habit here which has been promoted by the consumer society.
But, in fact, it's like the Three Kings (the celebration on 6th January): if you had been celebrated it when you were a child, when you grew up it's something special that you want to keep.
Graham said…
I don't know now but when I was a child nobody used to send messages on Valentine's.

I think THAT IT IS A new habit here which has been ENCOURAGED by the consumer society.

But, in fact, it's like the Three Kings (the celebration on 6th January): if you CELEBRATED IT WHEN YOU WERE a child, it's something special that you want to KEEP ON CELEBRATING WHEN YOU GROW UP.


I used to be suspicious of some classmates who got cards. I think that they wrote the cards themselves. And I think some parents send anonymous cards to their children so that they aren't heartbroken on Valentine's.

So maybe the idea behind the ban isn't such a bad one.