Aim v Target

This is a difficult one. It's probably best to treat them separately. A target is something you intend to shoot:
Source: NeONBRAND on Unsplash

He hasn't missed the target once. (see image above)

a person or group that you direct something at:

She was the target of false rumours.

a level or situation that you intend to achieve:

Our target is a rise of 10% in sales.   


An aim is a result that your plans or actions are intended to achieve:
  • I don't really have a main aim in life. Just to do as well as I can.
the act of pointing a "weapon" towards something:

I'm not good at darts. My aim is really bad.

His aim is bad too. (see image above)

I live in a really noisy neighbourhood. Sometimes there are people shouting and screaming in the middle of the night. I have been known to throw eggs or tomatoes at them. I have never hit the target (the idiots on the street) because my aim (how I throw) is very bad.


to target:

to direct advertising, criticism or a product at someone

  • Tobacco companies aren't allowed to target youngsters. Cigarette ads aren't found near schools.

to attack a particular place, object or person with bomb or bullet

  • Tourists were deliberately targeted in the terrorist attack.

to aim:

to plan to achieve

  • She aims to be married with children by the time she is 35.
  • We are aiming for a 10% rise in profits this year.

to point a weapon at someone or something that you want to hit

  • He aimed a punch at me but fortunately he missed.
  • She aimed the gun at him and pulled the trigger.

Write some of your own examples with aim and target.

Comments

Sandra said…
is that sign real?
Graham said…
Yes, it's a real sign. Apparently they can be found in France and Italy. Quite bizarre!
Graham said…
Ah and I have a similar sign in the entrance to the garage which is below my flat. But in that sign, it is minus the toilet.

I was reminded of it this morning. I was woken up by the porter shouting and swearing at someone who had ignored the sign.
Carol said…
Hi Graham. thank you for your article because now I can know the difference between target and aim. It´s strange because I have never heart before the word target in a sentence.So now I know a new word.
Graham said…
Hi Graham. thank you for your article because now I KNOW the difference between target and aim. It´s strange because I have never HEARD the word target in a sentence BEFORE. So now I know a new word.

You should note down new vocabulary from all the posts and write an example sentence.