Update on cheese rolling


Due to age restriction, you can only watch the video in You Tube.

Big screen could cut Gloucestershire cheese race crowds

Gloucestershire's historic cheese-rolling contest could be televised on big screens to help ease overcrowding.

This year's race was cancelled after concerns over the number of spectators it attracts at the Cooper's Hill site.

About 15,000 people flocked to the event last year - more than three times the site's capacity.

A bid to save this year's competition failed, but organisers said streaming videos of the event in Gloucester city centre could help to spread the crowds.

The proposal is part of new plans to extend the event, which include the possible introduction of a cheese and cider festival.

A statement from the Cheese-Rolling Committee said: "For the past few weeks we have been working together and talking about how we can take this historic event forward and we are now confident that we will be able to go ahead next year and continue well into the future.

"We're still working on the details but whatever we do we have to make sure we preserve the heritage of the local tradition, at the same time as reducing numbers on the hill, and this is going to take time to organise properly.

"That doesn't mean that we haven't tried to look at ways of putting on the event this year, in fact we explored many options but expert advice was that our plans were not developed well enough to work this year."



See the first post - Cheese rolling cancelled.

Click on the link at the end of the text to see the original article.

Read about the 2019 event ... :


... and then do a Kahoot about vocabulary found in the article.

 

Comments

Estela said…
I think is has been a good idea to avoid a crowd in the place they celebrate Cheese-Rolling´s day. I have seen the word "flocked" while I was reading the text. I learnt it two weeks ago in your english class. I would like to know what colour is people´s skin tree days before this famous festival... My body hurts me...jajaja
Graham said…
I am sure that everyone is black and blue (ie badly bruised) a few days AFTER the event.

I would like to know WHAT COLOUR PEOPLE'S SKIN IS (be careful with the word order in indirect statements)

My body /my head hurts. You hurt me. sb hurts sb else (you caused me pain)


You should put some of the words that you learn in class into the search engine at the top of the blog. You might find other examples of the words within the blog or links to the blog.
Unknown said…
Graham, I´ve read it.
See you
Graham said…
See how easy it is?! :-) Thanks for letting me know.
Marta said…
Very funny... specially Borat, :)
That must be really painful!!!!
Graham said…
ESPCIALLY / PARTICULARLY Borat
(go to confusing words to see the difference between specially and especially)

They must have been bruised badly the next day too.