First v second conditional

The first conditional shows real possibility (present/future) and its consequence.

if + present simple, + will / won't / other modal

Look at the following examples :
  • If it's sunny this weekend, we'll go to the beach.
  • We won't stay at home if it's sunny this weekend.
  • If it's sunny this weekend, we can go to the beach.
  • We might go to the beach if it's sunny this weekend.

Compare with the second conditional.

if + past simple, + would / wouldn't

We use the past to express an impossible or improbable situation and would/n't to express the consequence.
  • If Scotland was a sunny country, we would go to the beach at the weekend.
  • If I were/was prime minister, I'd stop wars and I wouldn't have nuclear weapons.
  • I'd buy a house if I had a better job and earned more than I do now.

Compare the following two sentences:
  • I'll give up work if I win the lottery.
  • I'd give up work if I won the lottery.
What are the chances of you winning the lottery? 
Realistically your chances are very small but it is a possibility. We use the second conditional to imagine the situation but if we are very optimistic we can use the first conditional.

Finish these sentences in a suitable way:
  1. If I could change job, ...
  2. I'll be really happy if ...
  3. ..., I'd report it to the police.
  4. If there is nothing on telly tonight, ...
  5. I wouldn't go even if ...
  6. Everything will be fine,
  7. If you don't be quiet, ...
  8. Would you tell me if ... ?
  9. ... if the hotels were full?
  10. ... if you work hard.
Read this previous post on a lottery win and answer the second conditional questions.

Comments

Estela said…
Hello, Graham:

If listenings were so easy to understand, I would feel better.
I enjoy with "The flatmates".

Bye.
Estela said…
Oh, of course La Mansión del Ingles is also very useful for me.
I can choose the level and correct mistakes.
Graham said…
Hi Estela

I ENJOY THE FLATMATES TOO. Now there is a video to accompany the series.

Have you seen the First Cert section in La Mansi�n? Agenda web also has some useful grammar exercises.
Estela said…
I am practising vocabulary and pronunciation, trying with listenings and the exercises below and searching for information related with grammar in La Mansión del inglés.
Marta said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said…
At last someone has done this exercise. It wasn't a waste of time. Thanks Marta! :-)

3. If I WITNESSED A THEFT, I'd report it to the police.

7. If you don't be quiet, I'll expel you.
Fine but you "expel" people from school.

8. Would you tell me if I'm on the right way to the hospital ?
Grammatically correct but I'd ask "Could you tell me...?"

9. What WILL you do if the hotels ARE full?

Good work!

See you tomorrow!
María Rossignoli Montero said…
Hi Graham!

If I could change job, I'd be a baker
I'll be really happy if I pass the exam.
If he stoled the jewerly, I'd report it to the police.
If there is nothing on telly tonight,I'll keep on reading.
I wouldn't go even if he pays/paid my dinner.
Everything will be fine, if you carry on.
If you don't be quiet, you'll get hurt.
Would you tell me if she's going/went to the prom?
Would you still go if the hotels were full?
You'll be succesfull if you work hard.
Graham said…
Evening María,

If I could change job, I'd be a baker. (I wouldn't like the early starts)

If he stole the jewellery, I'd report it to the police.

I wouldn't go even if he paid for my dinner. (pay sb, pay for sth)

If you aren't quiet, you'll get hurt. (quiet = callado, quieto = still) If you don't stay still, you'll get hurt.

Would you tell me if she was going to the prom?

You'll be successful if you work hard. (adjectives end in -ful)