Vive la Carla!

Carla Bruni gives tramp 100 euros

The French first lady, who lives in the chic 16th arrondissement when not at the Elysée palace, struck up conversation with Denis, 53, after passing him every day on her school run with her son, Aurélien, eight.

"She asks after me, she gives me one or two 50 or 100 euro notes. We talk about music," he told the magazine Closer, who tracked down Denis after Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy mentioned him in an interview she gave to Macadam – a magazine sold by the homeless.

She told Macadam: "Over time we've built up a friendly relationship. I stop sometimes to greet him and very soon we talk about books and music."

The 41-year-old model-turned-singer even handed him a signed CD of her latest album, and even offered him to sing in her next one.

"My friends from the street told me that as (the CD) has got her signature, it's worth a lot of money. I couldn't care less, I prefer to keep it; having said that I lent it to someone two months ago who hasn't given it back," he said.

Denis said the Italian-born Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy had also offered to *put him up for a month in a hotel.

"I refused," he said. "It's not that I enjoy being in the street but I've got my habits. People say it's cold. That's true but I'm well covered-up. What's more, Carla gave me a military-type duvet, which keeps me warm," he said.

Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy told Macadam: "You cannot save (homeless people), treat them against their will. One has to respect their choice."

Denis said police had stopped bothering him after he met the first lady.

"Carla's help is concrete. Before knowing her, the cops bugged me regularly, now they leave me alone. She must have put the word round," he said.

"She's a great lady, you know, Carla, even if she doesn't appear to be."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Phrasal verbs:

"Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy had also offered to put him up for a month in a hotel."

put someone upto provide someone with a temporary place to stay.
  • Can you put me up for the night? I missed the last bus home.
  • Can you put up my brother for the weekend? He can sleep on the sofa.

Comments

José said…
Hi Graham,



Vive la Carla!



I didn’t know that Mrs. Bruni was a woman who gave charity. She gave a tramp 50 and 100 euro notes regularly and a signed CD of her latest album. She treated him like a common people, talking and offering to sing with her. This is a good surprise for me. She seemed a distant woman who didn’t want relationship, so before you think about people in general, it’s necessary meet them.

It’s unfair to talk about different people without know them, although they were rich, beautiful o aristocratic. Will be this because of envy? This is human nature. Perhaps, I don’t follow news and I don’t know that this woman doesn’t do politics and she is a good woman. In any case, I don’t strike up conversation with a tramp. I neither ask after him, nor I greet him or offer to put him up in a hotel. Perhaps, I’m not great.



See you on Monday.
Graham said…
Hello Joseph,

I miss Carla Bruni. She may have been born in France but she had the style of a Frenchwoman.


I didn’t know that Mrs. Bruni was a woman who gave to charity. ... She treated him like an ordinary person, talking and offering to sing with her. This is a pleasant/nice surprise for me. She seemed to be a distant woman who wasn't close to people; so before forming an opinion about someone, it’s necessary to meet them.

It’s unfair to talk about people without ever having met them, even if they are rich, beautiful or aristocratic. Will this be because of envy? This is human nature. Perhaps, I don’t follow the news and I don’t know that this woman doesn’t do politics and she is a good woman. In any case, I wouldn't strike up a conversation with a tramp. Neither would I ask after him, nor (would I) greet him or offer to put him up in a hotel. Perhaps, I’m not great.


I rarely give to beggars either.