Support


A. ¿Te gusta tu jefe? B. No lo soporto.

A. Do you like your boss? B. I don't support him. 😡
A. Do you like your boss? B. I can't stand him. 😍   (= I hate him)

No soporto este calor. / I can't stand this heat. (= hate/tolerate)

No puedo con la hipocresía. / I can't stand hypocrisy.

No sé cómo soportas la situación. / I don't know how you put up with the situation (tolerate). 😍
I don't know how you support the situation. 😡  

He aguantado/soportado esto demasiado tiempo. / I have put up with this for too long.

No aguanto la mala educación / I can't bear rudeness/bad manners.

No podía aguantarlo más / I couldn't bear it any longer.


I can't stand people who don't consider others. The world would be a better place if people thought how their everyday behaviour affects others.

I can't bear meanness. I understand people have to be careful with money but stingy people, especially those who can afford to spend money, are intolerable.

I have had to put up with living in a noisy neighbourhood for the last 4 years.

N.B. All three expressions take the gerund form when followed by a verb.

What can't you stand doing? Which celebrity can't you stand?

What can't you bear?

What do you have to put up with?


And what does support mean?

It has several meanings.
  • The chair won't support his weight. (sostener)
  • He is divorced but he supports his children. (mantener)
  • What team do you support? (hincha)
  • I need you to support me. (apoyar)

What football team do you support?

Do you support your friends even if you think they are wrong?

Comments

Unknown said…
What a mess! Thank you for your help
Graham said…
Best way to make sense of it all is by using it :-)