Time to give up smoking

Minister confirms Spain to implement extended smoking ban next year

Restaurant terraces and bull rings will escape the harsher measures

The Health Minister has confirmed that Spain is to introduce an extended smoking ban next year, when, from an as yet to be confirmed date, ‘No Smoking’ signs will be seen in all closed public places. The legislation which has been in place since 2006 currently permits the smaller bars and restaurants to choose whether to allow smoking on the premises or not; if they do allow it, they must provide a separate closed-off area for smokers.

That option will no longer exist once the changes are brought in, but Minister Trinidad Jiménez has confirmed however that the stricter measures will not extend to open air premises, such as restaurant terraces and bull rings, where smoking will still be permitted.

Europa Press reports that the Minister said in a radio interview with Rac1 on Monday that the government’s decision is fundamentally based on protecting health, and said she believes that Spain is ‘culturally prepared’ for stricter measures to be adopted. There was no indication from the Minister on exactly when during 2010 the extended ban will be implemented, although she did comment that negotiations are in their final phase, with a large amount of support for the move amongst politicians.

The planned changes have however been criticised by the hostelry sector, where it’s feared that profits will see a sharp drop and many businesses may be forced to close.

Source: typicallyspanish.com

What do you think of the proposal? Do you think it will work this time?

Are you a smoker? Will you go out less when the ban is introduced? Will you be more likely to *give up smoking?

Phrasal Verbs:

"Will you be more likely to give up smoking?"

If you give up something, you stop doing it.

Examples:
  • He's given up work to look after his elderly mother.
  • I've been trying to give up eating meat for years.
  • I gave up learning piano when I was 15. I regret it now.

Comments

Carol said…
Hi Graham, I´m happy and I´m a smoker so I don´t like the idea that I will go to have a coffee or a drink and I won´t be able to smoke a cigarette if I would like it.I´ll have to go out of the place that I am and when it´s hot I don´t mind but when it´s very cold right now I will be impossible because I will freeze.
Mercedes Pastor said…
Well, I gave up smoking for nine years so I think smoking is bad. When I stay in a place where someone is smoking, I smell tobacco and I don’t like.
About the ban, I think that people who smoke have to have a space where they can smoke, but this space has to be closed for the rest of the people that don’t want to smoke. It’s very difficult to do that everybody agree.
Graham said…
Some interesting opinions.

I take it you are an ex-smoker, Mercedes. It is often the case that they are more anti-smoking than those who have never smoked.

I have never smoked but smoking has never really bothered me.

I am often in places surrounded by smoke. I do notice the smell on my clothes when I get home.

The only time it annoys me is when a solitary smoker blows the smoke in my direction.


Have they introduced the ban yet? I have just arrived from being on holiday and haven't been out.
Graham said…
Carol:

I'm happy about the ban BUT I don't like the idea that I won't be able to have a cigarette when I go for a drink or a coffee.

I´ll have to go out of the place WHERE I am. When it´s hot, I don´t mind but when it´s AS COLD AS IT IS now, IT will be impossible because I will freeze.

Remember that sentences in English aren't nearly as long as those in Spanish!
Graham said…
Mercedes:

I gave up smoking for 9 years. I don't quite understand this. Does that mean you gave up and then started again? I take it you are an ex-smoker so you should say:

I haven't had a cigarette in 9 years/ I gave up smoking 9 years ago so I think smoking is bad. When I stay in a place where someone is smoking, I smell tobacco and I DON'T LIKE IT.

About the ban, I think that people who smoke have to have a space where they can smoke, but this space has to be CLOSED OFF FROM the rest of the people that don’t want to smoke. It’s very difficult FOR EVERYBODY TO AGREE.