Animal Rights v Tradition

MoD discusses bearskin hat plans

The Ministry of Defence has met an animal rights group to discuss alternatives to the bearskin hats worn by guards at Buckingham Palace.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) has approached Vivienne Westwood and Stella McCartney to design a new shape for the 18ins hat.

The charity has previously called for fake fur to be used, but said the MoD was not happy with prototype designs.

The MoD said it was "actively looking for alternatives" to using bearskin.

Baroness Taylor, minister for defence procurement, met Peta on Tuesday.

An MoD spokesman said it had arranged an industry day in October to explore the issue further.

"We have invited Peta to attend that industry day and we wait to see whether they will take up our offer.

"We are pleased that Peta acknowledges the progress MoD has made in producing faux fur alternatives for other ceremonial clothing, such as the busby cap worn by members of the Royal Horse Artillery and the leopard skins previously used by musicians.

"In the meantime, we have to maintain existing stocks of ceremonial caps but we are minimising the need to take up new fur by refurbishing existing caps wherever possible."

The MoD says it is open to alternatives to real bearskin, but that previous attempts to replace it with synthetic fur have failed because the material has not been durable or weatherproof enough.

The ministry also wants to avoid if possible any change in the look of the red-coated sentries guarding Buckingham Palace, whose uniforms have long been one of the top tourist sights in London.

However, Peta is proposing a new hat shape and has also approached designer Marc Bouwer as well as McCartney and Westwood.

Robbie LeBlanc, Peta's director for Europe, said that although the group was proposing a different shape for the hats it did not mean the new design could not become "iconic".

"Most people think it's fake fur and when they find out it's real and it takes one *bear to make a hat, they are appalled," he said.

'Inexcusable'

The meeting is the culmination of a media campaign by Peta that has included a naked protest outside Buckingham Palace.

More recently, comedian Ricky Gervais sent an open letter to Prime Minister Gordon Brown, calling the continued use of real fur inexcusable.

"I understand and appreciate the importance of uniforms, but continuing to use real fur in the 21st century is inexcusable, regardless of 'tradition'," the letter said.

"The public are relying on you to bring about a humane changing of the guards."


Spotlight on Vocabulary:

"It takes one bear to make a hat."

Bear has other meanings besides the polar, koala and teddy one. 

Bear is similar to endure and tolerate.
  • I can't bear the sight of him.
  • Tell me if I have passed my exam. I can't bear the suspense.
  • I couldn't bear to watch the end of the film. It was so sad.

Bearable means something unpleasant is "tolerable" or " acceptable":
  • My job is so boring but my colleagues make it bearable.
  • Life with my ex-wife was unbearable.

If you bear something in mind, you remember it and consider it:
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll bear it in mind.
  • He said he would bear me in mind for the job.

If you bear with someone, you are asked to be patient and wait while someone does something:
  • If you'll just bear with me for a moment while I check my agenda.

Idiom - if someone is like a bear with a sore head, they are in a bad mood and likely to treat someone badly:
  • Don't go near the boss today! He's like a bear with a sore head. He shouted at me this morning for no reason at all.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I remember that my children, umpteen years ago, told me that they want to I took a photograph them with the sentry at Buckingham Palace who wore a bearskin hat. Of course, I took it and I saw that this soldier didn´t move anything as he were of stone. He were grin and bear it until we went away. I understand now that their uniforms have long been one of the tourist sights. I liked London and I beard in mind currently.

Although people send open letters to call the continued use of real fur instead synthetic fur, I suppose that, after more than ten years, all bearskin hats were of faux fur, but the discussions about animal rights will be continued because the English like much this kind of debates.

I have seen part of the video about Hercules, the Human Bear, and it´s curious to look how Scotsman, I´m not sure if he is Scottish, is boxing, fighting and playing with the bear. He has lunch like us but he doesn´t sit down very well on the chair, but it´s for reason he has a fat bottom. LOL. It seems he lived 25 years.

See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon Joseph,

As far as I am aware, the guards outside Buckingham Palace still wear bearskin hats. It is disgraceful that they don't use fake fur. I don't believe that they can't find a suitable alternative. Again we hear this poor excuse that it is a tradition and so we must respect it. I am all in favour of keeping traditions but not if they involve suffering.


I remember that my children, umpteen years ago, told me that they wanted me to take a photograph of them with the sentry at Buckingham Palace who was wearing a bearskin hat. Of course, I took it and I saw that this soldier didn´t move at all, as if he were made of stone. He was able to grin and bear it until we went away. I understand now that their uniforms have long been one of the tourist sights. I liked London and I bear this in mind now.

Although people send open letters to call for the continued use of real fur instead of synthetic fur, I suppose that, after more than ten years, all bearskin hats are of faux fur, but the discussions about animal rights will continue because the English really like this kind of debates.

I have seen part of the video about Hercules, the Human Bear, and it´s curious to see how the Scotsman, I´m not sure if he is Scottish, is boxing, fighting and playing with the bear. He has lunch like us but he doesn't sit down on the chair very well, but it´s because he has a fat bottom. LOL. It seems he lived until he was 25.