Bushisms



What with the Obama - Hillary battle for the nomination and now the Obama - McCain fight for the Presidency, not much has been heard from George W Bush. 

Here is a list of quotations for every year he has been in office:

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." --George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right." -George W. Bush, in Rome, July 22, 2001

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." -George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy with British Prime Minister Tony Blair

"When Iraq is liberated, you will be treated, tried and persecuted as a war criminal." -George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 22, 2003

"For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible, and no one can now doubt the word of America." --George W. Bush, State of the Union Address, Jan. 20, 2004

"This notion that the United States is getting ready to attack Iran is simply ridiculous. And having said that, all options are on the table." --George W. Bush, Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 22, 2005

President Bush: "Peter. Are you going to ask that question with shades on?"
Peter Wallsten of the Los Angeles Times: "I can take them off."
Bush: "I'm interested in the shade look, seriously.
"Wallsten: "All right, I'll keep it, then."
Bush: "For the viewers, there's no sun."
Wallsten: "I guess it depends on your perspective."
Bush: "Touche".--an exchange with legally blind reporter Peter Wallsten, to whom Bush later apologized, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

"I don't particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it." --George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, Nov. 10, 2007

"I'm often times asked, What difference does it make to America if people are dying of malaria in a place like Ghana? It means a lot. It means a lot morally, it means a lot from a -- it's in our national interest." --George W. Bush, Accra, Ghana, Feb. 20, 2008



What will your memories be of the Bush Presidency?




Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I remember this USA´s President. I recognise that he wasn´t a person with a lot of qualities, but I din´t know that people laugh at him. I can see journalists and other reporters laugh at him cheekily in these videos. It seems that he realise about it and he didn´t care. Was he so stupid?

These quotations show his attitude, like "the decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq..., I mean of Ukraine" but other presidents have had who were stupid and bad person and I don´t want to mention the last one.

I have read other quotations which I suppose that you know them but they aren´t in your article, for instance:

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test".

"They misunderestimated me".

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn´t here".

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully".

I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we´re really talking about peace".

"Do you have Blacks, too?".

See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon José,

I think his opponents treat George W more kindly after Trump's years in the top job - they discovered that there were worse presidents.

Even the cleverest person can make and say things but you could write more than one book about all his gaffes and gobbledygook.

However, he was able to laugh it all off.


I remember this US President. I recognise that he wasn´t a person with a lot of qualities, but I didn´t know that people laughed at / made fun of him. I can see journalists and other reporters laugh at him cheekily in these videos. It seems that he realised it but he didn´t care. Was he so stupid?

These quotations show his attitude, like "the decision of one man to launch a wholly unjustified and brutal invasion of Iraq..., I mean of Ukraine" but were stupid and wicked and I don´t want to mention the last one / don't get me started on the last on.

I have read other quotations which I suppose you already know but they aren´t in your article, for instance: