Scot beats Nadal!



He is undoubtedly a great player and deserves to be the number one in the world. He has won the French Open, Wimbledon and Olympic titles this year and looked like he was going to add the US Open to that list. That was until he played a Scotsman, Andy Murray.

I can't bear to see Nadal on the TV screen. The guy gives me the creeps. I can't stand his monotone voice nor his reactions when he wins a match.

I didn't stay up to watch the match last night. I didn't expect Murray to win. You can imagine how pleased I was to read this morning that he not only got to the final; but also, and especially because, he beat Nadal!

          Source: Wikipedia (Tatiana) 

Andy: It's awesome!

ANDY MURRAY delivered a sensational performance to crush world No 1 Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals of the US Open last night.

He now takes on 12-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in tonight’s mouth-watering final at Flushing Meadows after a 6-2 7-6 4-6 6-4 triumph.

Murray said: “It’s awesome to beat Rafa, a great feeling.

“But I still have one more match to go. I want to win the tournament.

"I have done well enough to beat the world No 1 over two days. I have the tennis to compete with these guys but I have to do it in three out of five sets in the final.”

Murray resumed the match 2-3 down in the third set after Saturday’s rain delay.

He added: “I thought I *held my nerve against Rafa.

"I dropped serve easily at the start of the fourth but I stayed aggressive. On match point, I just kept my head down and stayed calm. I didn’t feel nervous.”

Murray, 21, who landed the US Open junior title in 2004, has won two of his three matches against Federer.

He said: “I have played well against him in the past.

"A Grand Slam final is different to what I have played before, though. I know I am going to have to play great.”

Murray was watched by his favourite comedian, Anchorman star Will Ferrell, who imitated Andy’s muscle-flexing in the stand.

Nadal said: “Andy beat me because he was the better player.

"I had my chances but did not take them. Andy has a chance to beat Roger in the final.”

PM Gordon Brown, who stayed up late to watch the Murray match at home, said: “It was a fabulous performance by Andy Murray and a fantastic victory.”

Downing Street is sending Murray a message of good luck for the final.

Source: The Sun

Spotlight on Vocabulary:

I thought I *held my nerve against Rafa.

If you hold your nerve i.e. don't lose your nerve, this means that you remain calm in a tense situation at a critical moment:
  • The government is very unpopular but the prime minister must hold his nerve and continue with the programme of reforms.
  • In the end she lost her nerve and didn't tell her husband about her affair with his best friend.

If someone or something gets on your nerves, it irritates or annoys you:
  • He's really getting on my nerves. I can't stand his stupid laugh.
  • The noise from next-door is getting on my nerves. He has no consideration for his neighbours.

Who or what gets on your nerves?

Who is your favourite sportsperson? Why? And which one can't you stand? Why?


Nadal / Murray tweets:

 



 




 


 


 

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

In my opinion, Nadal is huge, respectful and kind. When Murray crushed him, Nadal said that Murray was the better player and that Murray is going to beat Roger.

Murray is awesome, the best player and the number one in the world. The most important thing he is Scot.

Both are good boys, so sporty and they had taken tennis to the top. It´s nice to watch both playing on tv.

People impolite get on my nerves. People who think that they are superior that the rest really getting on my nerves.

My favourite sportsperson is my old friend who he could be the first in our races and, in the end, he leaved to win to the following him. He was the second. He was great for me.

See you.
Graham said…
Evening José,

I beg to differ. While I recognise Nadal is a great tennis player (and much more successful than Murray), I fail to see the great guy that sheeple say he is.

Murray is a dour Scot - there are many of us. However, I do admire his bravery in speaking out just before the Scottish referendum on independence as well as his comments on Operación Puerto (Remember that? Another embarrassment swept under the carpet). Nadal was curiously silent about the doping scandal to hit Spain yet he immediately attacked the mere suggestion of cheating when reported in foreign media. Great sports stars use their social media to keep fans up-to-date with their professional and private lives. Nadal uses his social media mainly for endorsing products. He isn't even subtle about it. He takes advantage of his fans to make more millions.


In my opinion, Nadal is great, respectful and kind. When Murray crushed him, Nadal said that Murray was the better player and that Murray is going to beat Roger.

Murray is awesome, the best player and the number one in the world. The most important thing is that he is a Scot.

Both are good boys, so sporty (or sportsmanlike?) and they have reached the top of their career. It´s nice to watch them both playing on TV.

Impolite people get on my nerves. People who think that they are superior to others really get on my nerves.

My favourite sportsperson is my old friend who could have come first in races but he let the person behind him overtake. He ended up in second place. He was great for me.