Don't care v don't mind

Do you know the difference between "I don't mind" and "I don't care"? Many of you use them wrongly.

What about " it doesn't matter"?

What about " never mind"?



I care about you. (This has a positive, sentimental meaning. The person is important for you).

I don't care what happens to him. (This has a strong meaning and can sound very cold, even impolite).

He won't mind if you come too. (This has a gentler meaning. It means that there won't be a problem or there is no preference).

It doesn't matter if it rains. (This means that the situation doesn't create any problems. It is quite like "don't mind").

A: I've failed my exam. B: Never mind. You can take it again next month. (This can have a reassuring sense. It isn't the end of the world).



Other examples:

A: Your mother won't like your new boyfriend. B: I don't care what she thinks.

A: Do you mind if I smoke? B: Of course, I don't mind.

I hope you don't mind if I invite David to the party. I know you two don't get on.

It doesn't matter if you haven't finished. You can do the rest tomorrow.

A: I'm sorry. What did you say? B: Never mind. It wasn't important.



Now create some examples of your own until you get the hang of it.

Idiom: if you get the hang of something you are able to do it after several attmpts.

  • I can't get the hang of this computer programme. It's too difficult.
  • You'll get the hang of it if you keep on practicing.


Comments