Don't care v Don't mind

Source: Belinda Fewings on Unsplash 

Do you know the difference between I don't mind and I don't care? 

Many of you use them wrongly. What about it doesn't matter? What about never mind?

I care about you. (This has a positive, sentimental meaning. The person is important for you).

I don't care what happens to him. (This has a strong meaning and can sound very cold, even impolite).

He won't mind if you come too. (This has a gentler meaning. It means that there won't be a problem or there is no preference).

It doesn't matter if it rains. (This means that the situation doesn't create any problems. It is quite like "don't mind").

A: I've failed my exam. B: Never mind. You can take it again next month. (This can have a reassuring sense. It isn't the end of the world).


Other examples:

A: Your mother won't like your new boyfriend. B: I don't care what she thinks.

A: Do you mind if I smoke? B: Of course, I don't mind.

I hope you don't mind if I invite David to the party. I know you two don't get on.

It doesn't matter if you haven't finished. You can do the rest tomorrow.

A: I'm sorry. What did you say? B: Never mind. It wasn't important.


Other expressions with care and mind:



Now create some examples of your own until you get the hang of it.

Idiom

If you get the hang of something you are able to do it after several attempts.

  • I can't get the hang of this computer programme. It's too difficult.
  • You'll get the hang of it if you keep on practising.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I don´t mind you don´t listen my opinion.
I don´t care people don´t believe about aliens.
You has lost your bet. Never mind.
They don´t want their son eats so many sweets, they care about him.
There is a fly in your disk. It doesn´t matter.
Don´t you mind your mother because she doesn´t want.
Do you mind care my daughter while I go shopping?
I you don´t take care of yourself, I couldn´t care less.
The standard of care of Madrilenian health service is good.
I have worry in my mind that doesn´t leave sleep.
I can´t see my old friend, I take my mind off his treachery.
He says yes today and not tomorrow. Mind you, he is a weathercock.
Learning English language needs time and dedication, with both things students get the hang of it.

See you.
Graham said…
Good morning José,

I wonder how you spent the extra hour. I am sure it was productive; it wouldn't be like you to waste it. 😀


In the first two examples, you can use mind or care - care shows stronger emotion. (be careful as it can come across as rude at times)

I don´t mind you don´t listen my opinion. 😡
I don't mind if you don't listen to my opinion. 😍

I don´t care people don´t believe about aliens. 😡
I don't care if people don't believe in aliens. 😍

You has lost your bet.😡 Never mind.
You . Never mind. 😍

They don´t want their son eats so many sweets,😡 they care about him.
They dont want their son to eat so many sweets; they care about him. 😍

There is a fly in your disk.😡(not sure what you mean) It doesn´t matter.😍
There is a fly on your desk. / Your disk has a bug.

Don´t you mind your mother because she doesn´t want.😡 (not sure what you mean)
Your mother doesn't want you worrying about her.😍

Do you mind care my daughter while I go shopping? 😡
(care for suggests over a longer period; for a few hours, I'd use look after)
Do you mind looking after my daughter while I go shopping? 😍

If you don´t take care of yourself, I couldn´t care less. 😍

The standard of care Madrilenian health service is good. 😍 (says the spokesman for the PP)

I have worry in my mind that doesn´t leave sleep. 😡
(... doesn't let me sleep)
I have a lot on my mind and I don't sleep well because of it. 😍

I can´t see my old friend, I take my mind off his treachery. 😡
I can't see my old friend because I can't take my mind off his deceit. 😍

He says yes today and not tomorrow. 😡 Mind you, he is a weathercock. 😍
He says yes today and no tomorrow / the next day. 😍

Learning English language 😡 needs time and dedication, with both things students get the hang of it. 😍
Learning English needs time ... 😍