Argue v Discuss



Many Spanish students use discuss when they should actually say argue.

If people argue, it suggests they disagree about something and they feel angry about it.
  • What are they arguing about? (They have raised their voices or are shouting at each other and perhaps look angry)
  • Don't argue with him. It's not worth it.
If people discuss something, they talk seriously about the subject.
  • I am worried. The boss wants to meet me to discuss my future.
  • Can we discuss this later? I'm busy at the moment.
  • The plan was discussed in great detail they agreed on it.
Similarly, an argument often involves feelings of anger whereas a discussion is simply a conversation. 
  • He had a huge argument with his girlfriend again. I reckon they'll split up.
  • I don't want to get into an argument with you. I have enough on my plate.
  • I had a very frank discussion with her about her results.
  • The government is to hold further discussions with the unions in order to resolve the issue.
An argument can also be a reason for having an opinion.
  • There are strong arguments for and against the idea.
A discussion can often lead to an argument.
  • I got involved in a heated discussion with the check-in assistant about the weight of my luggage.

When did you last have an argument? Who with? What about?

What kind of topics do you discuss with your colleagues?

What are the arguments for and against Brexit?

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,



I think, my last argument was in 2005 more or less. It was with my boss, man and judge. He wanted to prove that he was more intelligent than me because, in his opinion, I had made a mistake in a public procedure. He was wrong and I was right. I couldn´t consent it because he was dunce, everyone knew it but nobody told it him. It is very hard to tell your boss that he is wrong, but it was true and I told him it. In general, if you meet someone who is idiot he will mistreat you. Then, if you say nothing, he will know that is okay, but I didn´t keep silent. Therefor the argument began. Sometimes, it is necessary to shut up stupid men.



On the other hand, I discuss with my wife frequently, poor woman, I don´t know how she put up with me, but I think both enjoy. I don´t know a marriage that they don´t discuss.



As for the kind of topics that I discuss with my colleagues, before we discussed about football, after about politics and women and, now, I get bored of talking about these topics and I do prefer discuss about human relations and stars. I enjoy seeing a starry night on my deckchair in my village.



Do you think that be worth argue? Never. And discuss? Yes. It is interesting.



No argument for and against Brexit, no discuss for and against Brexit, it is prohibited.



See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon José,

Believe it or not, I dislike arguing. I should learn to bite my tongue more often.

For most, it's not worth arguing but on the other hand, at times there is no other option.



I think, my last argument was around 2005. It was with my boss who is a man and a judge. He wanted to prove that he was more intelligent than me because, in his opinion, I had made a mistake in a public procedure.

He was wrong and I was right. I couldn´t allow him to get away with it because he was a dunce, everyone knew it but nobody told him.

It is very hard to tell your boss that he is wrong, but it was true and I told him so. In general, if you meet someone who is stupid / an idiot he will mistreat you. Then, if you say nothing, he will know that is okay, but I didn´t keep silent. Therefore the argument began. Sometimes, it is necessary to shut stupid men up.

On the other hand, I have heated discussions with my wife frequently, poor woman, I don´t know how she puts up with me, but I think both of us enjoy it. I don´t know of a marriage in which they don´t have differences of opinion.

As for the kind of topics that I discuss with my colleagues, first we discuss football, then politics and women and, now, I get bored of talking about these topics and I do prefer discussions about human relations and stars. I enjoy looking at a starry night on my deckchair in my village.

Do you think that it is worth arguing? Never. And discussing? Yes. It is interesting.


I have no arguments for and against Brexit, I don't want to discuss Brexit, it is prohibited.