Linkers for Adding Information


Also

Also is used to add an extra idea or emphasis.

We don't usually start a sentence with "also". It goes before the main verb but after the verb "to be".
  • I enjoy gardening. I also like to do crosswords in my spare time.
  • Glasgow has two important football clubs. It is also the most populated city in Scotland.

Too / as well

Too / as well mean the same as "also" but go at the end of the sentence.
  • We did a lot of sightseeing on our holiday. We bought a lot of souvenirs as well.
  • I had a busy weekend. I went to the theatre and I saw the DalĂ­ exhibition too.

As well as

As well as can be used at the beginning of a sentence or in the middle.
  • She is gorgeous as well as being very successful.
  • As well as the main course, I made a trifle for dessert.

Not only... (but) also...

We use not only... also ... to add emphasis.
  • Not only do they sell furniture, they also sell electronic gadgets.
  • If the plan fails, it will affect not only our department, but also the whole organization.

Besides

Besides is usually found at the beginning of a sentence and is more informal.
  • I can't afford to go to the concert. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of their music.
  • Besides excelling at sports, he can also speak four languages.

What's more

What's more is more informal. It is used to add something surprising or interesting to what you have just said.
  • Japanese cuisine is delicious and what's more, it's good for you.
  • The hotel is near all the sights. What's more it has a spa.

In addition (to ...),

In addition is more formal so is used more in written English.
  • Company employees are paid travel expenses in addition to their normal salary.
  • I have the skills that you require and, in addition, have several years experience.

Moreover

Moreover is used at the beginning of a sentence.
  • Unemployment has risen dramatically over the last few years. Moreover, many people are moving abroad to look for work.
  • The report is badly written. Moreover, it is inaccurate.

Furthermore

Furthermore is formal.
  • Our sales are expected to rise 20% in the next year. Furthermore, purchase of new equipment will help cut manufacturing costs and increase profits.
  • The ratio of women is still relatively low. Furthermore, 65% of female board members are of European origin.

Write some examples of your own.

Comments

JosĂ© said…
Hi Graham,

I saw this post previous time and I suppose that I didn’t leave a comment because is so clear. I also would like you explain me more about as long as, as much as and so on. Can I put any adjective or word between both as?

When you say that it is formal, do you mean that if I say it I’m pedant?

You say: "Japanese cuisine is...good for you". Can I say that Japanese cuisine is as delicious as good or Japanese cuisine wat's more good, is delicious as well? Last sentence would be in Spanish: "Encima de buena es deliciosa".

He is good as a teacher as a sportsman. Is this sentence correct?

It wasn't difficult as I knew. Is it correct too?

If I want to say that I knew that it was as dificult as I couldn't think so much. Do you think I am delirious? I think so. I'm going to tell it you in English: I knew it was difficult but not so much.

We'll talk about it next class. See you.

Graham said…
Hi José,

I will create a post shortly that deals with your questions.


I saw this post previously and I suppose that I didn’t leave a comment because it is (OMG - this mistake again!!!) so clear. I would also like you to explain more about "as long as", "as much as" and so on. You can put adjectives and adverbs between "as".

I would never accuse you of being pedant.

You say: "Japanese cuisine is...good for you".

Japanese cuisine is as delicious as it is good.

As well as being delicious, Japanese cuisine is healthy. The last sentence would be "Encima de buena es deliciosa" in Spanish.

He is as good a teacher as he is a sportsman.

It wasn't as difficult as I had expected.

If I mean that ... Do you think I am delirious? I think so.

I'm going to tell it you in English: I knew it was going to be difficult but I didn't think it'd be so difficult. (You are going to have to explain this to me in person; I'm not exactly sure what you mean)


Barbara said…
I didn´t pass to say hello, because I wanted also to go to the gym.
I couldn´t meet this afternoon, because I wanted also to go to the gym.
She is very sensible and also serious.
I like this city because it´s beutifull and also cleaned.
I´m tired, and I have a pain in back as well.
You sould do the housekeeper and the laundrary too.
Not only did he yell, he also lied me.
My dogs not only bite my shoes, but also He try to sleep in my bed.
Besides we went to the park, after we spent all the afternon in the cinema.
This restaurante is cheap and what´s more it has your favourite dessert.
We could arrive on time, in addition when we got there, there weren´t cab. ¿?
He never told me this. Moreover he said me the opposite thing.
We could deliver the letter because he didn´t give us the adress. Futhermore the post office were closed at this time.
Graham said…
Hello Barbara,

Some interesting examples:

I didn´t drop by to say hello, because I also wanted to go to the gym. (also goes directly before the verb)

I couldn´t meet this afternoon, because I also wanted to go to the gym.

She is very sensible and also serious.

I like this city because it´s beautiful and also clean.

I´m tired, and I have a pain as well.

You should do the cleaning and the laundry too.

Not only did he yell, he also lied to me.

My dogs not only bite my shoes, but they also try to sleep in my bed.

Besides going to the park we also spent all the afternon in the cinema. (besides + verb-ing)

This restaurante is cheap and what´s more it has your favourite dessert.

We could arrive on time, in addition when we got there, there weren´t any cabs. (you'll have to explain this one to me - I don't get it)

He never told me this. Moreover he told me the exact opposite. (say sth / tell sb)

We couldn't deliver the letter because he didn´t give us the address. Futhermore, the post office was closed at this time.