Lazy husband means happy marriage

Couples who share the housework are more likely to divorce, study finds

Divorce rates are far higher among “modern” couples who share the housework than in those where the woman does the lion’s share of the chores, a Norwegian study has found.


In what appears to be a slap in the face for gender equality, the report found the divorce rate among couples who shared housework equally was around 50 per cent higher than among those where the woman did most of the work.




Vocabulary:

to share -

to be likely to -

the divorce rate -

the lion's share of -

chores -

a slap in the face for -

a lack of -

a break-up / to break up -

the figures -

to go on -

to step on sb's toes -

a quarrel -

to get into -

a squabble -

to pull your weight -

a spouse -

childrearing -

a backround -

laid out (adj) -

fraught (adj) -

to work out -

to tend to -

to come to a head -

stuff (n) -

to shoulder -

a burden -

slightly (adv) -

overall -








Do you agree with the findings of the survey?

Who does the chores in your home?

Comments

luciti said…
hi!

I think the survey is realistic, it's dificult sharing a work, as work in a job as housework. Two people have to be closer to not have quarrels. I agree with the survey when the speaker suggest about the values of the modern couples. When the woman has had a well-paid job and a diferent life out of the marriage and the child-rearing the divorce rate has raised.
A couple can't raise if the housework and the childrearing don't be shared. It's difficult but it's possible.

In other hand, I'm learn a very interesting idiom expression:

the more... the more.... the less...

bye, see you..

Luciti
Graham said…
!*!^ it! I lost the comment that I've just written you Lucía. I'll rewrite it when I'm less annoyed.
Graham said…
Hi Lucía!

OK, here I go again!

Hopefully, I won't lose what I write this time.

It's difficult to share work / Sharing a job is difficult, as is housework.

Two people have to be very close so as not to have quarrels. I agree with the survey when the speaker talks about the values of modern couples.
When the woman has had a well-paid job and a different life out of the marriage and child-rearing, the divorce rate has risen.
A couple can't grow (not sure what you mean here) if the housework and the childrearing isn't shared. It's difficult but it's possible.

On the other hand (we use this expression to contrast)

By the way (por cierto) I'm learning a very interesting expression:

the more... the more.... the less...

The more I study, the more my English improves.

Ok See you soon Lucía!
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham, it's Cristina. I've read this article about sharing domestic chores. I've found it very interesting.
Graham said…
Hi Cristina!

So does Rodrigo do his fair share of housework? So according to this study, you are doomed. :-)