Do you take a nap?

Ecuadorean super-snorer wins siesta contest in Spain

A jobless security worker has won a competition billed as Spain's inaugural siesta championship, napping for 17 minutes in a busy shopping centre.

Ecuadorean Pedro Soria Lopez took first place and 1,000 euros (£890) for his efforts - or lack of them.

Judges praised the 62-year-old not only for the duration of his 40 winks, but also for his volume, notching up snores of 70 decibels - around talking level.

The contest was run by Spain's National Association of Friends of the Siesta.

It was part of a campaign to revive the Spanish power-napping tradition, which is seen as threatened by the fast pace of modern life.

Over the course of nine days, 360 competitors were challenged to sleep for as much of a 20-minute period allotted to them as possible.

Participants stretched out on sofas in the Madrid shopping centre while their pulses were monitored to check they were asleep.

Judges awarded points for the speed with which participants fell asleep, the volume of their snoring, the most original sleeping position and the best-dressed sleeper.


Read this other article from the Guardian on the same event.

See how many of these sleep-related words you know: 

 
Do you make time for a nap? How long do you sleep for?

Do you agree that Spain is losing its tradition of the siesta?

Would you like to have participated in the competition?

Do you get enough sleep?

Are you a light or heavy sleeper?

Do you snore?

What position do you sleep in?

Comments

Marta said…
I used to rest for a while after having lunch every day when I lived in Madrid. It wasn't a real siesta because I didn´t fall asleep but it was enough to be refreshed.
Now, in London, I have to eat at the university and after that I go directly to the library. But I can not be so concentrated as when I would rest.
When I get home after work, I usually have dinner very early and I can not even watch a TV series because I'm so exhausted!
Graham said…
Hi Marta

I think that you were lucky in Madrid - not many people get the chance to have a rest in the afternoon like you did.

.... But I CAN'T CONCENTRATE SO WELL as when I REST.

Concentrated is never used as a feeling. We can use it to describe orange juice. :-)



What do you think of British TV? The most popular programmes are the two soaps: Eastenders and Coronation Street. I always used to watch the Street. They'll be a real test for your English.
Marta said…
Precisely, yesterday I remembered what you have told me about the soaps. I watched Eastenders last tuesday: it's difficult to understand but I want to follow one of these soaps. I'll try Coronation street and I'll tell you.
Graham said…
I suppose you should watch Eastenders as you are living in London, but I think it lacks the warmth and humour of Coronation Street.

The worrying thing is that many people say it reflects real life. I sometimes think it is the other way around, which is even more worrying.

What's been happening in the Street? :-)