Busy weekend on the roads

6.7 million journeys to be taken on Spain's roads this weekend

Tuesday 12 is a National Fiesta for the Puente de El Pilar

The DGT traffic authority in Spain is forecasting 6.7 million journeys will be taken on the country’s roads this bank holiday weekend, despite the forecasts of poor weather and heavy rain in many areas of the south on Sunday.

The DGT special controls will run from 3pm on Friday until Midnight on Tuesday for the El Pilar bank holiday. Busiest traffic is expected on the roads which lead to the Valencia and Aragón regions, which are both celebrating their regional fiestas.

More than 600 people will be working at the DGT to keep the traffic flowing and 10,000 Tráfico Guardia Civil will be patrolling the roads.

The DGT advises travellers to check their route before departure, using the internet, mobile phone, or teletext services, or to check local radio stations.

However note that calls to the DGT traffic information number, which are currently free, are going to move to the new 011 number in February or March next year, and will be charged for. The DGT says the current free number is costing it a million € a year.

And as always seems to be the case before a long bank holiday break, petrol and diesel prices have gone up. Petrol is 11.2% more expensive than a year ago and diesel is 17% more expensive. Average prices are now 1.152 for petrol and 1,090 for diesel.



Source: typicallyspanish.com



Are you going away for this long weekend? What are your plans?

If it is post El Pilar, what did you do?  Did you get stuck in traffic? Was the weather kind?

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Graham.
This year the bank holiday weekend is different for me because I'm ill. I have the flu and I must be at home in Madrid this long weekend.
I don't feel unhappy despite I couldn't go nowhere because I can have a bit rest. I need it!

I'm tired because I worked very hard this week. I travelled to Ponferrada (Leon) in monday evening. The journey was 400 kilometers by road. Next day I had a very important bussiness meeting. The meeting was with 16 people during 3 strong hours. It was exhausting for me because every people asked and I didn't have any time to answer everyone.
Then we went to have lunch together to a typical restaurant. Food was exquisite!. It was the best thing of the journey.

Finally I returned to Madrid but in the middle of the journey I stopped in the Villafafila Lakes. In this area you can see different species of birds in a relaxed.

I think that the weather was cool in Ponferrada and it was no good for me. Next time I will wear more warm clothes !!!!
Graham said…
Hi Alida!

The great thing about being ill is that you have the perfect excuse for taking it easy.

I have the flu SO I HAVE TO STAY AT home in Madrid this long weekend.
I don't feel unhappy, *DESPITE THE FACT THAT I CAN'T go ANYWHERE, because I can have A BIT OF A rest. I need it!

I'm tired because I worked very hard this week. I travelled to Ponferrada (Leon) ON Monday evening. The journey was 400 kilometers by road. THE next day I had a very important BUSINESS meeting. The meeting was with 16 people *FOR 3 LONG hours. It was exhausting for me because *EVERYONE ASKED ME QUESTIONS and I didn't HAVE TIME to answer everyone.
Then we went to have lunch together AT a typical restaurant. THE food was exquisite!. It was the best THING ABOUT the TRIP.

Finally I returned to Madrid but in the middle of the journey I stopped AT the Villafafila Lakes. In this area you can see different species of birds in a PROTECTED AREA.

I think that IT WAS ON THE COLD SIDE IN Ponferrada, WHICH DIDN'T DO ME ANY GOOD. Next time I will wear more warm clothes !!!!


*despite + noun/ despite + verbING

*during + noun / for + duration of time

*every + sing / everyone


You'll have to tell me more about these lakes. I love bird watching. I bought some binoculars when I was home but I haven't had the chance to choose them yet.