Come on Scotland!!!

Source: You Tube (gabsie196721) Key Words: flower of scotland

Ahead of the Scotland - Spain football game tonight, here is our anthem (Flower of Scotland) to cheer the Scots on.

I hope that Scotland play with the same passion as the anthem is sung and that we provide Spain with a memorable shock (though a Scottish victory would be more of a miracle than the survival of "los 33" LOL)

See a rugby version of the song and try to complete the lyrics.

Remember to use the labels. Here are all the stories related to Scotland and those related to football.

In the end Spain won 3 -2.

Source: You Tube (rory01410) Key words Spain Scotland 12/10/10


And a year later Spain still won and the commentators were as annoying as always.

 

Vocabulary:

look forward to (sth / verb-ing

to feel happy and excited about sth that is going to happen (tener ganas de algo)
  • We're going to Paris next week.. I am looking forward to it..
  • Are you looking forward to seeing your sister?
-  used at the end of a formal letter to say you hope to hear from or see sb soon, or that you expect sth from them
  • look forward to hearing from you.
  • look forward to your reply.
Idiom:

take the wind out of sb's sails

make someone feel less confident, usually by saying or doing something unexpected (bajarle los humos a algn / cortar las alas a algn)

  • Missing out on promotion really took the wind out of his sails.

 


Vocabulary:

nerve-(w)racking

- making you very nervous or anxious (estresante, anguistioso)

  • It's nerve-wracking to speak in front of a lot of people. 

Idiom:

Here's hoping (that)

- used to say that you hope sth will happen

  • Here's hoping that next year will be better.



Vocabulary:

anthem

- a song chosen by a country or organization to be sung on special occasions (himno)

bagpipes

- a Scottish musical instrument that is played by blowing air into a bag and forcing it through pipes (gaita)

Idioms:

win (sth) hands down

- to win something/beat someone very easily (ganar sin despeinarse)

  • He won the debate hands down.

 

Idiom:

 beyond belief

- used to emphasise that sth is so extreme that it is difficult to believe (de no creer, increíble)

  • What she said was stupid beyond belief.

Phrasal Verb:

shut (sb) up

- to stop talking or making noise or make sb stop (callar)

  • I told them the news just to shut them all up.




Idiom:

(It's) just as well (that)

- used for saying that a situation or result is good even if not expected or intended (menos mal)
  • It's just as well we aren't going away this weekend. The weather forecast is awful.
  • We left at 9 a.m., which was just as well or we'd have missed the plane.

Vocabulary:

lift sb's spirits

- to make sb happier, to cheer sb up (animar el corazón)
  • He's feeling a bit down after failing the exam. He needs a night out to lift his spirits.


Vocabulary:

smug (adj) 

- too pleased or satisfied about sth you have achieved or sth you know (presumido, petulante)
  • He's always got a smug grin on his face.
  • She was by far the best player but I wish she wasn't so smug about it.
smugness (n) (engreimiento, suficiencia)


Vocabulary:

the comfort of your own home

- at home where you are physically relaxed and happy
  • I love working from the comfort of my own home.

be on the point of + verb-ing

- be about to do sth (estar a punto de hacer)


Phrasal Verb:

give up

- to stop doing or to stop trying (dejar, abandonar)
  • I've given up running marathons. I'm too old for it now.


Vocabulary:

at least

- sth that you say when you are telling sb about an advantage in a bad situation (por lo menos)
  • Everything seemed to go wrong but  at least it didn't rain.

even though

- in spite of the fact that (aunque)
  • I like my job even though it is badly paid.

outnumber

-  to be greater in number than sb or sth (superar en número a)
  • I was outnumbered. Everyone else wanted to go to a Japanese restaurant.


Idiom:

drown  your sorrows 

- to drink alcohol in order to forget your problems (ahogar tus penas)

Comments

Natalia said…
Hi Graham!!! I am back from my trip to London(is that correct??, I've read a thousand times your post, I don't completely understand it though!)
I've listened your anthem and it's really nice. Every country has his own lyrics but mine (perhaps it's better this way...)! And I loved your comment about how the thistle is in fact a beautiful flower because you are wright!
See you tomorrow!
Graham said…
Welcome back, Natalia!

I'd give up reading that post if you still don't understand it after the thousandth time. Just use your intuition and you'll probably be RIGHT, as in this case.

I've read YOUR POST A THOUSAND TIMES...
I've LISTENED TO your anthem and it's really nice. Every country has ITS own lyrics but mine (perhaps it's better this way...)!

Be sure to read the posts from January 2008, "Anthems" and "God save the Queen".


Doesn't Spain have a national flower? I'd love to see the image of the bull, too often seen in the middle of the Spanish flag, replaced with something else. It just reminds me of barbarity and cruelty.

What do you think?
Natalia said…
I think we don't have a national flower.... perhaps you know better than me!
About the flag issue, we have a serious problem with it and all the symbolism it has in Spain... But I don't really like the bull or any other animal put in the middle of my flag... I prefer simple flags (only with colours), like in most of the countries!
See you in a bit!
Graham said…
Aaaargh! My computer is doing strange things. I have just lost my carefully written reply to your comment. ¡*!?!%@ hell!
Graham said…
OK, I'll have another go.

I DON'T THINK WE HAVE a national flower....
I prefer simple flags (only with colours), like in MOST COUNTRIES!

You'd be surprised just how many countries have a flower as their symobol.

As well as the thistle, the Scots are associated with heather.

The Irish have the shamrock.

The French have the lily.

The Welsh have the daffodil and the leek (OK, the latter is really a vegetable)

The English have the rose. Yaaaaaaawn.

And the Spanish? With a bit of googling, I'm able to answer my own question.

The Spanish have the carnation.

However I remember in Italy it is associated with death.