How do you get from A to B?

Smarter, cheaper and greener ways to get around town

  • From car sharing to power walking, there have never been more methods of mobility

  • Mobile technology is making it easier to access new alternative means of transport in Spain’s cities

 

Ever-more costly gasoline, gridlocked traffic, global warming and, above all, the need to save money are just a few of the harsh realities facing the Spanish automobile sector, which is going through its worst slump since 1986. Young people are no longer interested in owning a car, especially if they live in a large city.

But that, of course, doesn’t mean they still don’t need to get around. One answer could be car sharing. BlaBlaCar is one of the most popular car-sharing sites in Europe. The company has grown three times faster in Spain than it has in the other 12 countries in which it operates.
 

 

Vocab:

smart /(adj) -

to get around -

means of transport -

gridlocked (adj) -

above all -

harsh (adj) -

to face (a problem) -

a slump -

a toll -

to sign up -

a swipe card -

a saving -

rather than -

to pick (sb) up -

to drop (sb) off -

a (pickup) point -

a venture -

jointly -

in the meantime -

the founder (of a company) -

to suit -

to fold / a folding bike -

to hang on to (a strap) -

to be better off -





How do you get around Madrid?

What changes would you make with regard to public transport?

 

 

Comments

luciti said…
Hi Graham!

I read this article,

BLABLACAR is interesting, I knew it but I don't use it. My sister in law used BLABLACAR and she liked it, she got lucky because she knew driver, he was her neighbour.

All initiatives are exciting but I prefer latest option! If you think this is posible that you can go walking a lot of place but I spend 40 minutes to get to work by underground if I were walking I think I take one hour and half.

Bye.
luciti said…
Hi Graham!
I only want to tell you than I'm listening to some articles in VOA Learning English and I had listened to and article about spices and herbs very interesting, this is the name:
"Herbs and Spices May Be Good for Your Health"

Lucia
Graham said…
Hi Lucía,

I try to walk as much as possible. Driving and even taking the underground stresses me out.

BLABLACAR is interesting, I know of it / have heard of it but I don't use it. My sister in law has used BLABLACAR and she liked it, she got lucky because she knew the driver, he was her neighbour.

All initiatives are exciting but I prefer the last option! If you think it is possible that you can go walking everywhere but I spend 40 minutes getting to work by underground. If I were walking I think I'd take one hour and half.

Graham said…
Hi Lucía,

I had a quick look at the article that you listened to but to tell you the truth, the topic of health is one I try to avoid. Trying to follow all the recommendations for a healthier life can make your life a nightmare.


I only want to tell you than I'm listening to some articles in VOA Learning English and I have listened to a very interesting article about spices and herbs. This is the name:
"Herbs and Spices May Be Good for Your Health".


José said…
Hi Graham

I prefer to commute walking if I can. It´s good luck working near home, about everything because it´s cheap, smart and green. But this was only one time. Everyone which lives in a large city, needs to take a mean transport overall. I can´t go walking, I would rather go by underground that by car. I think that there are other ways to avoid take means transport, for instance, working at home. Companies and the Government should make easier to work with a computer, a phone, a fax, and other media at home. Another way, would be that the Government provides move to civil servants near home, when they want.

I think Lucía is going to forget what she knows about English language, if she remains on holiday in New York.

See you.