Super-judge no longer

Crusading Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzon is suspended

High-profile Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon has been suspended from his post by the country's judicial body.

The decision was unanimously adopted by the General Council of the Judiciary.

He is due to face trial on charges that he abused his powers by opening an *inquiry in 2008 into crimes committed during Francisco Franco's rule.

Mr Garzon was later forced to drop the investigation into the crimes committed during the 1936-39 Civil War in Spain, which are covered by an amnesty.

Controversial judge

In February, a Supreme Court investigating magistrate ruled that Mr Garzon had ignored the 1977 amnesty by launching the investigation.

Mr Garzon, 54, who is highly popular among the Spanish political left and international human rights campaigners, appealed against the ruling, saying his inquiry was legitimate.

But some on the right accuse Mr Garzon of launching cases that are politically motivated.

Tens of thousands of people disappeared during Spain's Civil War and under Gen Franco's regime that followed.

Mr Garzon is also famous for targeting international figures, including late Chilean military ruler Augusto Pinochet, and al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

Earlier this week, Mr Garzon reportedly asked to take a leave of absence to work for the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Judicial sources at Spain's National Court say Mr Garzon wants to work as an adviser for the ICC for seven months.


Confusing words:

What's the difference between *inquiry and enquiry?

An inquiry is an investigation into something whereas an enquiry is simply a question.
  • Blair and other senior politicians have appeared before the Iraq Inquiry.
  • The government is going to set up an independent inquiry into the scandal.
  • Telephone National Rail Enquiries to get information on train fares and times.
  • All enquiries should be directed to the department of Public Relations.

Comments

Miriam said…
Hi Graham:

How are you?

Garzon is a controversial topic, but He is imputed of five acusations, not only for "Franco´s case".

I think he isn´t a good judge, because several delinquents are free due to his bad judicial training and some of these are trafficants and terrorists.

Besides,he is a politician, What more does he need?

British politicians are different, I´ve been very interested about your elections. I like Cameron and his coalition government and the not less important: I understand him.

If We had politicians like these I´d trust them and We could believe to overcome the crisis.

Have you ever been to Saint Isidro´s meadow? It´s fun.
You can´t miss Saint Antonio´s in June.

Thank you.Have a good weekend¡
Miriam said…
I understand Tattoo girl is regretful but I don´t say what I think about her.
Graham said…
Hi Miriam,

I don't know much about the history of Garzon, but what I do know is that I'm fed up of seeing him on TV. Is he the only judge in Spain?

And he is too political. A judge should be seen to be above politics.

Wasn't he in the hunting party along with the ex Justice minister?


Garzon is a controversial topic, but he is ACCUSED of five CRIMES not only for "Franco´s case".

I think he isn´t a good judge, because several CRIMINALS are free due to his bad judicial training and some of these are DRUG TRAFFICKERS and terrorists.

BESIDES THAT, he is a politician. WHAT ELSE does he need?

British politicians are different, I´ve been very INTERESTED IN / I HAVE TAKEN A GREAT INTEREST IN your elections. I like Cameron and his coalition government and WHATSMORE I understand him.

If we had politicians like these, I´d trust them and we could believe THAT THEY COULD overcome the crisis.


We also have corrupt politicians as recent events have shown. However, I do admire some UK politicians whatever party they are from.


What happens at Saint Antonio's? I don't think I have heard of it.


I'm not sure what your comment about the tattoo girl means. Maybe:

I understand THE tattoo girl is regretful but I'M NOT GOING TO SAY what I think about her.


I've had better weekends but oh well, they can't all be great. :-)

See you tomorrow!