Madrid travel guide


MADRID.

What does it mean to you?
What's your favourite neighbourhood? Why?
What advice would you give to a visitor?
What changes have you seen?
How would you compare it to other cities that you know?

Have a look at some of these extracts from the *
Wikitravel guide to MadridDo you agree with them? What advice would you add?

*Text in Wikitravel may be edited.

Madrid is the capital of Spain, as well as the capital of the autonomous community of the same name (Comunidad de Madrid). The population of the city is roughly 3.3 million with a metro area population of almost 6.5 million.  Madrid is best known for its great cultural and artistic heritage, a good example of which is the El Prado museum. Madrid also boasts some of the liveliest nightlife in the world.



Culture

The culture of Madrid was dominated by its religious and royal history. Enormous, monolithic cathedrals and churches are plentiful in Madrid, as well as medieval architecture, although nowadays Madrid is just as much a cosmopolitan city as Berlin or London.

The citizens of Madrid, who refer to themselves as Madrileños or the more traditional and currently seldom used term "gatos" (cats), live by a daily routine that is heavily influenced by the climate. Due to the typically extreme midday heat, a "siesta" is observed during which some citizens take a break to cool off. Small stores are often closed during this time. Workers and those more afflicted by Western lifestyles choose not to observe this long break and work traditional business hours, which are usually between 9 a.m. and 6-7 p.m. During summer many offices, however, will have a summer schedule requiring workers to start at 8am and finish at 3pm (most commonly without the standard 1-2 hour break for lunch). Offices usually close during the weekend but businesses are often open Saturday morning (downtown stays open until afternoon). Most grocers are closed on Sundays, but some major chain and department stores, like FNAC, will be open throughout the day.

Madrid possibly has the largest number of bars per capita of any European city and a very active nightlife; Madrileños are known to stay up until as late as 6-8 a.m. It is important to note that, due to this lifestyle, lodging located near the Gran Via may end up a nightmare for light sleepers.

Madrid has become very modernized as of late, with an elaborate transportation network comprised of buses and the Metro. The city contrasts with some large European cities in that it is extremely clean, and city employees in bright yellow vests can almost always be seen cleaning the streets and sidewalks. Like most large cities, however, there is a substantial population of vagrants and beggars lining the streets.

Madrid is one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. Communities of West Africans, North Africans, Latin Americans, other Europeans, Chinese, Indians, Filipinos and Pakistanis are prominent.


Speak

The majority of Madrid's residents do not speak very much English. Even employees at U.S. franchised businesses such as McDonald's and employees at cash exchange centers rarely speak much English. You can often find someone with a fair grasp of English at larger hotels and tourism sites, but it would nevertheless be helpful to know at least a few common Spanish words and phrases.


By car

Transportation by private automobile in Madrid can be very difficult. The Spanish capital suffers from the typical problems of most big cities: far too many cars and not enough space to accommodate them. Sometimes there can even be traffic jams in the Paseo de la Castellana at three o'clock in the morning (then again, three in the morning is early to some Madrileños). The problem is compounded by the narrow streets in the old town, where a lorry delivering beer barrels to a local bar can cause a huge tailback. Looking for a place to park your car can be very time consuming, and difficult if one is not skilled in the art of close proximity parallel parking. Many Spaniards are also lacking in this art, prompting them to simply park in the street, blocking other cars in. If you find yourself blocked in by such a practice, honk your horn until the driver returns, he will usually just be popping in to a shop, and it will make you feel better. If you parallel park your car in Madrid be very aware that most Madrileños park by sound alone. They will feel no remorse for repeatedly hitting the car in front and behind them while trying to get into or out of a tight spot. If you value your car's paint job, or you have rented a car, it may be best to park underground. Though this is no guarantee for nobody hitting your car, the chances are somewhat diminished.

On the other hand, travel by car can be advantageous; going home by car on weekends is, of course depending where you live, usually faster than by public transport.


10 things you must do before you leave
  • Get lost in the Museo del Prado.
  • Go shopping in Calle Fuencarral (trendy) or Salamanca district (posh)... it's up to you!
  • Eat a bocadillo de calamares (squid sandwich) near Plaza Mayor.
  • Struggle among the crowds in El Rastro on a sunny Sunday morning.
  • Go to a theater on Gran Via and enjoy a musical show.
  • Go for some tapas in La Latina (don't forget patatas bravas).
  • Spend an afternoon in El Retiro.
  • Get back to 16th century in Plaza de la Paja and surroundings.
  • See a sunset at the Templo de Debod.
  • Have a drink and dance in Malasaña district until dawn, then have a chocolate con churros breakfast.
    (now you are a madrileño!)

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,



1. I am from Segovia, but I like Madrid. My wife, my children, my granddaughters, almost all of my family, is from Madrid. I get used to living in Madrid. It is a good place to work. It is not dangerous like other cities and, the most important thing, people from Madrid are very hospitable.



2. It is curious, everyone say that their neighbourhood is the best. I am living around Cuatro Caminos, but I would live around Rios Rosas because it is a quiet place. My neighbourhood is a little noisy, especially, when the Real Madrid plays in its field, if it wins I can´t sleep.



3. I would tell him: This place is your home, but you must bring a mask because we have a big problem with pollution.



4. I agree that Madrid is a cosmopolitan city. It´s unbelievable there are people from Scotland. LOL. I remember when children played football in streets. I recognise that Madrid has changed a lot, such as buildings, leisure, streets, means of transport, visitors, luxury and so on.



5. I would like to live in Segovia, Santander or León because they are a kind of cities to live better if you have not to work. I prefer Madrid than Berlin, for instance, but I like London very much.



6. I don´t know hotels in Madrid, of course, I always sleep at my home, but when I read advertisements about hotels, I laugh my head off. All hotels are the best in the brochure and when you come to hotel, then you begin to cry.



It said: “in Madrid´s Bohemian literary quarter”. What is this? Won´t be a place to drink beer?



See you
Graham said…
Evening José,

I think we were very lucky to have been brought up in a small town. Kids tend to grow up quicker in cities . be more street-wise. The thing is cities tend to offer more job opportunties and youngsters end up moving there.


1. I am from Segovia, but I like Madrid. My wife, my children, my granddaughters, almost all of my family is from Madrid. I am used to living in Madrid. It is a good place to work. It is not dangerous like other cities and, most importantly people from Madrid are very hospitable.

2. It is curious, everyone says that their neighbourhood is the best. I am living around Cuatro Caminos, but I would (prefer to) live around Rios Rosas because it is a quiet place. My neighbourhood is a little noisy, especially, when Real Madrid plays at home. If it wins, I can´t sleep.

3. I would tell him: You are very welcome, but you must bring a mask because we have a big /serious problem with pollution.

4. I agree that Madrid is a cosmopolitan city. It´s unbelievable, there are even people from Scotland. LOL. I remember when children played football in streets. I recognise that Madrid has changed a lot, in terms of buildings, leisure, streets, means of transport, visitors, luxury and so on.

5. I would like to live in Segovia, Santander or León because they are of cities in which you live better if you have not to work. I prefer Madrid to Berlin, for instance, but I like London very much.

6. I don´t know hotels in Madrid, of course, I always sleep at home, but when I read advertisements about hotels, I laugh my head off. All hotels are the best in the brochure and when you go to/ arrive at the hotel, you begin to cry.

It said: “in Madrid´s Bohemian literary quarter”. What is this? Could it be a place to drink beer?