Actually, it's not that simple

Actual and actually do not refer to time.

actual (ESP) ≠ actual (ENG) and actualmente ≠ actually

So be careful when translating sentences like the following:
  • La situación política actual genera preocupación
  • The actual political situation is giving cause for concern.  😡 
  • The present political situation is giving cause for concern.  😍 
  • La tasa de desempleo actual es la más alta de la Unión Europea.
  • The actual rate of unemployment is the highest in the European Union.  😡 
  • The current rate of unemployment is the highest in the European Union.  😍 
  • La juventud de hoy tiene más oportunidades que sus padres?
  • Do actual young people have more opportunities than their parents?  😡 
  • Do young people today have more opportunites than their parents?  😍 
  • El Parlamento reformará algunas de las leyes actuales.
  • Parliament will reform some of the actual laws.  😡 
  • Parliament will reform some of the existing laws.  😍 
  • España es la campeona actual del mundo.
  • Spain are the actual world champions.  😡 
  • Spain are the reigning world champions.  😍 
  • Me gusta debatir temas de actualidad.
  • I enjoy debating actual issues.  😡 
  • I enjoy debating topical issues.   😍 
  • Emplean la tecnología más actual.
  • They use the most actual technology.  😡 
  • They use the latest / the most up-to-date technology. 😍 
  • La empresa emplea a más de 80 trabajadores actualmente.
  • The company employs over 80 staff actually.   😡 
  • The company currently employs over 80 staff.  😍 
  • Actualmente, trabajo en un proyecto diferente
  • I am working on a different project actually.  😡 
  • I am working on a different project now.  😍 
  • Actualmente hay cuatro personas inscritas en el curso.
  • Actually there are four people enrolled on the course.   😡 
  • At present, there are four people enrolled on the course.  😍 
Source: CDC on Unsplash
  • Actualmente, más mujeres que hombres estudian medicina. (hoy en día).
  • More women than men study medicine actually.  😡 
  • More women than men study medicine nowadays  😍 

Current(ly), at present and the present are more formal. 

The above adverbs are probably safest at the end of the sentence. They can also come before the verb to make it sound more formal.
  • Now, house prices are rising. (less formal)
  • House prices are rising now.
  • House prices are now rising. (more formal)

So how do we use actual (ENG) and actually?

Actual usually describes something that is real; not guessed or imagined.
  • It was reported in the press that 5,000 people attended the rally but the actual number was much higher. (verdadero)
  • The film was based on actual events. (reales)
  • Were those the actual words that he used?
  • What was the actual reason for her change of mind?

In actual fact is an expression used to show what is really true.
  • I thought he was English, but in actual fact he is Welsh.
  • In actual fact she is much friendlier than people say she is. (en realidad)

Actually is often used to clarify something or correct what someone has said.
  • A: You never told me.  B: I did, actually.
  • I didn't actually go to the conference. A colleague of mine went instead.
  • A: She must be in her forties.  B: Actually, she has just turned 32.

It has the sense of in fact or in reality.
  • Your face looks familar but I don't think we've actually spoken.
  • He didn't actually say anything important.
  • So what actually happened?

It can express surprise.
  • I actually passed the exam. How I managed to I will never know.
  • Haggis looks disgusting but it's actually quite tasty.
  • I can't believe you actually spoke to the King.

It can soften something that is difficult to say.
  • A: Do you like my new car?  B: Actually, I preferred the one you had before.
  • A: He gave a fantastic speech, don't you think?   B: I wasn't that impressed, actually.

Both actual and actually are very common. Look out for them. Try using them.

Write some examples here.

Comments

Miku said…
Graham... Incredibly useful.. Tks a lot
Graham said…
Miku? Not Milu? I wonder what your name will be the next time. haha

You are welcome.
barbara said…
The present environment situation is a real problem.
The current figurates os desocupied houses are not growning
Today is more difficult to find a Job than before.
The existing Laws dont allow fired people with no reason.
Beyonce is the most reigning knowed Singer.
The topical issues in the news are so depressed
The latest tegnology is wear the phone in the clock
I am currently worked from home
At present we are 6 at the department
You can study whatever you want nowadays
Graham said…
Evening Barbara,

You see how many ways there are to translate actualmente. Remember currently is on the formal side.

The present situation with the environment is a real problem.

The current figures of unoccupied houses are not growing.

It is more difficult to find a job today than before.

The existing laws don't allow people to be fired with no reason.

Beyonce is the most famous singer in the world today. (reigning is for champions or winners e.g. Miss jamaica is the reigning Miss World.)

The topical issues in the news are so depressing. (I think you need to revise -ed and -ing adjectives)

The latest technology is having a phone in your watch.

I am currently working from home.

At present there are 6 of us in the department.

You can study whatever you want nowadays.
María Rossignoli Montero said…
Hi Graham!

Nowadays, it's quite easy to go abroad.
My current job allows me to work during the evenings.
I started cooking class in the past, but currently I'm painting.
- It's really bad weather today, isn't it? - No, actually I like rainy days.
I've planned to study today, but I'm watching memes right now.
When I did my proyect at college, the actual results showed that doing an artistic activity could help people to soothe unpleasant feelings such as anger or loneliness.
Graham said…
Hi María,

I'd be a wealthy man if I earned a euro for every time I heard an actually-related mistake.

Nowadays, it's quite easy to go abroad. (Time expressions like nowadays are commonly put at the end of the sentence)

My current job allows me to work during the evenings.

I have had cooking classes in the past, but now I am on a painting course. (Currently sounds too formal in this context)

- It's really bad weather today, isn't it? - Actually, I like rainy days.

I had planned to study today, but I'm looking at memes right now.

When I did my project at college, the actual results showed that doing an artistic activity could help people to soothe unpleasant feelings such as anger or loneliness.