LOL and other abbreviations



LOL is a common abbreviation; you will have seen it at the end of a funny comment.

What does it stand for?               
LOL stands for Laugh Out Loud.

What does "laugh out loud" mean?      
When you find something very funny, you LOL - you don't contain your laughter.

We use "stand for" to say what an abbreviation represents.


In the UK, the PM David Cameron thought LOL stood for Lots of Love. He used to exchange texts with Rebekah Brookes, the editor of NOTW (News of the World). Read the story here.



UK stands for United Kingdom.What does GB stand for?

PM stands for Prime Minister. Politicians in the UK are referred to as MPs. What does MP stand for?

TVE stands for Televisión Española. Do you know what BBC stands for?

LOL is used in texting, e-mails and so on . Can you guess what the following abbreviations stand for?
  • Hi! How r u?
  • CU L8R M8
  • I've seen it b4.
  • G2G. I'm late.
  • TGIF! What r u up 2 this weekend?
  • I'm glad that u r OK. KIT! xxx
  • IMO it was a mistake. What do u think?
  • AFAIK there is no class next week.
  • FYI it wasn't my decision. So don't blame me.
  • I DUNNO where he went.
  • I'm going to make a cup of coffee. BRB.

Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham. I only know a few of them because I don’t normally use them, so I’ll try to do my best.
BBC stands for British Broadcasting Corporation and MP stands for Member of Parliament.

• Hi! How r u?
• Hi, How are you?

• CU L8R M8
• See you later mate

• I've seen it b4.
• I’ve seen it before

• G2G. I'm late.
• Go to Go. I’m late

• TGIF! What r u up 2 this weekend?
• Thank God is Friday! What are you up to do this weekend?

• I'm glad that u r OK. KIT! xxx
• (This one I have no idea!!!)

• IMO it was a mistake. What do u think?
• In my opinion it was a misake. What do you think?

• AFAIK there is no class next week.
• As far as I know there is no class next week.

• FYI it wasn't my decision. So don't blame me.
• For your information it wasn’t my decision. So don’t blame me.

• I DUNNO where he went.
• I don’t know where he went.

• I'm going to make a cup of coffee. BRB.
• I’m going to make a cup f coffee. Be right back.
Graham said…
Hi Montse!

You've done really well with the abbreviations.

Do you know what NB stands for?

NB We say an MP (not a MP) because the letter "m" starts with a vowel sound.

GTG Got to go (I have got to go)

TGIF Thank God it's Friday

KIT Keep in touch


Everybody knows that "eg" is "for example"; it stands for exempli gratia.

Do you know what "ie" stands for and when we use it?

C U soon!



Montse said…
Hi, Graham.
This is what I’ve found out:
NB comes from Latin “nota bene” and it is used to indicate that special attention should be paid to something.
i.e. from Latin “id est” means “that is or in other words” and it is used to make clearer what you have said.
Mmmmm… very interesting, indeed!!!
Graham said…
Montse,

NB and ie are two common abbreviations derived from Latin. It's a wonder that they aren't used in Spanish.