Back home with Mam and Dad

1.6m people aged 20-40 'living with parents'


More than 1.6 million people aged 20-40 are still living with their parents because they cannot afford their own home, a report suggests.

More than 5,000 people were surveyed by YouGov for housing charity Shelter.

 
 
 



 
Vocabulary:
 
to afford -
 
to survey -
 
according to... -
 
to save up for stg-
 
a deposit -
 
the housing ladder -
 
to put the brakes on -
 
a lack of stg -
 
the root of the problem -
 
grateful (adj) -
 
the norm -
 
to soar -
 
out of reach -
 
affordable (adj) -
 
to get on in life -
 
a survey -
 
to be faced with ... -
 
barely (adv) -
 
huge (adj) -
 
a mortgage -
 
to struggle -
 
 
 
 
What is the situation in Spain?  When did you leave home? What do you think the right age to leave home is?
 
 

Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham! How are things going? I think the situation in Spain is quite similar if not worse. Before this crisis, young people lived with their parents because, the spite of the fact they were working, they couldn’t afford the mortgage. Nowadays, they can’t even get a job so they have to go abroad to find it.
I left home when I got married. I was 24 years old but I had liked to do it before.

I hope you have a good class this course!!!
Graham said…
Hi again!

I'm slipping up. I forgot to reply to this message. :$

The article surprised me. Many people in the UK get help from the state rather than their family.

And the vast majority of young people move out of the parents' home as soon as possible.


... because, in spite of the fact that they were working, they couldn’t afford the mortgage. Nowadays, they can’t even get a job so they have to go abroad to find one.

I left home when I got married. I was 24 years old but I would like to have done it before.



Have a nice weekend!