Disgust v Upset

El Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación ha transmitido al Reino Unido “el disgusto y malestar del Gobierno por la prevista visita” que el príncipe Eduardo, hijo menor de la reina Isabel II, hará a Gibraltar el próximo mes de junio.

I have seen "el disgusto y malestar" translated in different ways: "disgust and upset", "disgust and unease" and "disgust and concern".

I think the best way to translate malestar is unease. It means you are unhappy or uncomfortable with a situation. (adj - uneasy)
  • There is growing unease in the country at the direction taken by the government.
  • There is an uneasy truce in the country but I doubt it'll be long before they start fighting again.
I think concern is more like worry so I'd translate it as preocupación. (adj - concerned, concerning)
  • There is a lot of public concern about the high level of crime in the city.
  • I am a bit concerned that she hasn't phoned yet.
I'd translate upset as disgusto. It is a situation when people are unhappy or angry. (adj - upset, upsetting)
  • The presence of the controversial leader will only create a lot of upset.
  • She was very upset that he forgot about their anniversary.
  • The news showed some upsetting images of the tragedy.
Disgust has a different meaning to disgusto.

I'd translate it as asco or indignación. (adj - disgusted, disgusting, to disgust)
  • The manager resigned from the company in disgust at the decision to cut wages.
  • Yuk! Spitting on the street is so disgusting.
  • I was disgusted by his behaviour.
Write some of your own examples with the above words.

Comments

luciti said…
hi graham!

I am looking for this words in several articles on your blog, "hunting of our king" and three articles from Romania, russia, "Queen of Spain" ... and I haven't found any sentences that uses this words: unease, concern, upset and disgust.

I have to dinner,Tomorrow, I am going to invented some sentences whit this words.

Bye,

Luciti
Anonymous said…
Graham, this is the serie in english I was talking about this morning. Have a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnEvakipktI

Nicolás.
Graham said…
What are you suggesting Lucía????


I am looking for these words in several articles on your blog, "hunting of our king" and three articles about Romania, russia, "Queen of Spain" ... and I haven't found any sentences that use these words unease, concern, upset and disgust.

I have to go for dinner now. Tomorrow I am going to invent some sentences with these words.

You can find lots of examples if you put words into the search engine at the top of the blog.
Graham said…
Thanks Nicolás!

I've just checked out one of the episodes from the series. I'll watch some more tomorrow.

It's on the easy side for you, isn't it?
Anonymous said…
Yes, it is.