Madrid 2016 - another broken dream?

Setback for Madrid in latest Olympic candidate report

Rio de Janeiro, Chicago and Tokyo get better reviews in the latest report from the International Olympic Committee

An evaluation report from the International Olympic Committee into the possible host cities for the 2016 games has put Rio de Janeiro, Chicago and Tokyo ahead over Madrid.

The report outlines opinions on all the candidate cities, and Madrid falls down on its organisation structure and also on how its documentation was presented.

The report says Madrid ‘does not show a complete understanding of the need for a clear delimitation of the roles and responsibilities, including financial interests between different interested parties. Given the current complicity and magnitude of the task to organise a multi-sports event such as this, this situation could cause financial or organisational setbacks’.

There is also criticism in the report on whether Spanish anti-doping legislation is in line with world requirements, and there are doubt as to whether the reform of the Olympic Stadium and other facilities is ‘too ambitious’.

Madrid gets some praise though in the areas of popular support and the closeness of the venues which will ease transport for both the athletes and the public.

The final selection will be announced on October 2 but for now Rio is the leader with the report describing their plans as being of ‘a very high quality’.

Source: typicallyspanish 

Idioms:

How do you translate Madrid's slogan for the 2016 Olympic Games - tengo una corazonado?
  • I have a hunch.
  • I feel it in my bones.
  • I have a feeling.

Source: You Tube (vivamadrid2016) Key Words: Madrid 2016 tengo corazonada

What do you think of this promotional video? Describe what is happening in it.

Do you have a hunch that Madrid will get the 2016 Olympics?

Do you feel it in your bones?


Source: You Tube (VisionMadrid) Key Words: Hola Everyone Madrid 2016

Would you like the Olympics to come to Madrid?

Why? Why not?

Comments

Macarena said…
Hi Graham!
How it´s going?

I think the translation of "tengo una corazonada" in English is " I feel it in my bones".
I like your blog and I think I am going to improve my english with that.

thank you,

Macarena
Graham said…
Hi Macarena!

I'm glad you like the blog and I look forward to reading your posts.

HOW'S IT GOING?

I think the translation of "tengo una corazonada" in English is " I feel it in my bones".

I like your blog and I think I am going to improve my English with IT.

I have a feeling that you will quickly improve your English :-)