especially v specially

What's the difference between specially and especially?

These two words often have the same meaning.

Especially is often used before prepositions and conjunctions.
  • I play a lot of tennis, especially in summer.
  • My neighbour really annoys me, especially when he plays loud music.

And specially is often used with past participle.

  • The cake was specially made for the occasion.
  • The building was specially designed for disabled access.

Or especially is used for emphasis, like particularly.

  • The people are friendly, especially in the north of the country.
  • His latest film was especially good.

And specially is used to describe a particular purpose.

  • I like this coat, specially for the cold weather.
  • It's a funny film, specially for young people.

Are you still confused?

Comments

Montse said…
Graham, I’ve understand the difference but I don’t know if I’ll get to remember it when I have to use it again. Sorry, but I’m sure you are going to correct me more than one time.
Graham said…
Don't worry, Montse! I recommend using "especially" - the chances are that you will be right.

I'VE UNDERSTOOD the difference but I don’t know if I WILL BE ABLE TO remember it when I have to use it again. Sorry, but I’m sure you are going to correct me more than ONCE.