Especially v Specially

What's the difference between specially and especially? 

These two words often have the same meaning. Especially is often used before prepositions and conjunctions.
  • I play a lot of tennis, especially in summer.
  • My neighbour is so noisy. He really annoys me, especially when he plays the drums. 
Source: ASBA Drums on Unsplash 

And specially is often used with past participle.

  • The building was specially designed for disabled access.
  • The cake was specially made for the occasion.
Source: Jason Leung on Unsplash 

Or especially is used for emphasis, like particularly.

  • The people are friendly, especially in the north of the country.
  • His latest film was especially good.

And specially is used to describe a particular purpose.

  • I like this coat, specially for the cold weather.
  • It's a funny film, specially for young people.

Are you still confused?

Write some example sentences of your own.

Try to complete the lyrics to Especially.

Try to complete the lyrics to Especially for You.


Comments

Montse said…
Graham, I’ve understand the difference but I don’t know if I’ll get to remember it when I have to use it again. Sorry, but I’m sure you are going to correct me more than one time.
Graham said…
Don't worry, Montse! I recommend using "especially" - the chances are that you will be right.

I'VE UNDERSTOOD the difference but I don’t know if I WILL BE ABLE TO remember it when I have to use it again. Sorry, but I’m sure you are going to correct me more than ONCE.