Raise v Rise

What's the difference between raise and rise?

Both verbs mean to move upwards.

Rise is an intransitive verb while raise is a transative verb.

And what does that mean?!

Rise does not need an object:
  • The sun rises every morning.
  • Hot air rises.
  • Inflation rose last month to 5%.
  • The unemployment rate has risen again.

Raise needs an object:
  • Raise your hand when you don't understand.
  • He never raised his head from his book when I came into the room.
  • They had just raised the theatre curtain when my mobile phone rang.
  • The government has raised the rate of VAT.
Source: Al Elmes on Unsplash 

Pronunciation:

Rise  /raÉȘz/rhymes with eyes, rose /rəʊz/ rhymes with nose and risen /rÉȘz.ən/ rhymes with prison.

Raise /reÉȘz/ rhymes with days and raised /reÉȘz/ rhymes with amazed.


What things have been rising recently? What has been raised?


Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello Graham, i am Blanca Schez and i have had a look it...thanks
Graham said…
Good to know someone listens to me, Blanca. :D
MarĂ­a Rossignoli Montero said…
Hi Graham!

The food prices has been rose this lasts years.
Hi rise his motivation to study.
I raise the hand to ask the teacher.
I raise my legs during pilates class.
Graham said…
Hello MarĂ­a,

You'll see that I've added a Quizlet to this post. If you don't get the difference between the two verbs by the end of it, I doubt you ever will haha.


Food prices have been rising over the last few years.

His motivation (level) to study has risen. (but this sounds strange) He is more motivated to study.

I to ask the teacher something.

I raise my legs during pilates class.😍