Indirect Questions

Source: Matt Walsh en Unsplash

Look at the following examples of DIRECT and INDIRECT questions.
  • Excuse me! Where is the post office? DIRECT
  • Excuse me! Do you know where the post office is? INDIRECT
  • How old are you? DIRECT
  • Can I ask you how old you are? INDIRECT
An INDIRECT question is politer (first example) and softens a difficult question to ask (second example). In the INDIRECT form, there are really two questions.

The INDIRECT question follows this form:
First question + (question word/if) + Subject + verb ?
  • Do you know what time the bank opens ?
  • Can you remember where we went for our holidays last year?
  • Can I ask you how much you earn?
  • Can you tell me if there is a bus to Vigo?
The DIRECT form of the above questions:
  • What time does the bank open?
  • Where did we go for our holidays last year?
  • How much do you earn?
  • Is there a bus to Vigo?
Compare the two forms. Notice:
  • The INDIRECT form does not use - do , does , or did.
  • The verb in the INDIRECT question shows the 3rd person "s" or the past.
  • We use "if" when there is no question word.
  • The word order changes - subject and verb change places.
The following are typical mistakes:
  • Do you know what time does the bank open?
  • Can you remember where did we go for our holidays last year?
  • Can I ask you how much do you earn?
  • Can you tell me is there a bus to Vigo?

Try the Indirect Questions Grammar Challenge.

Here are some more examples of INDIRECT questions:
  • Do you know what "awkward" means?
  • Can you remember where I left my keys
  • Could you tell me how long you've been working here?
  • Can I ask you if you have a boyfriend?
We can also make INDIRECT statements which are formed in exactly the same way.
  • I can't remember how much I paid for my car.
  • I don't know where she comes from.
  • I''d like to know why she didn't call me back.
  • I have no idea how long it takes to get there.
  • I was wondering if you'd like to go to dinner tonight.

Now try to think of some General Knowledge questions - the kind you find in Trivial Pursuits - putting them in Indirect form.
  • Do you know which century Shakespeare was born in?
  • Have you any idea what John Logie Baird invented?
  • Can you remember what the capital of South Africa is?
Also try to think of some questions you would like an answer to; using INDIRECT statements.
  • I am not sure how many times Liz Taylor has won an Oscar.
  • I don't know how long the Spanish civil war lasted.
  • I can't remember what the name of the Russian President is.
Listen to the Indirect Questions epsiode of The Flatmates and do the corresponding tasks.


Comments