New broom in Downing Street

 

Source: YouTube (SkyNewsAustrlia) Key words: Sunak resignation speech

Good morning, I will shortly be seeing His Majesty the King to offer my resignation as Prime Minister.

To the country, I would like to say, first and foremost, I am sorry.

I have given this job my all. 

But you have sent a clear signal that the government of the United Kingdom must change…

…and yours is the only judgement that matters. 

I have heard your anger, your disappointment; and I take responsibility for this loss

To all the Conservative candidates and campaigners who worked tirelessly but without success

…I am sorry that we could not deliver what your efforts deserved

It pains me to think how many good colleagues…

…who contributed so much to their communities and our country…

…will now no longer sit in the House of Commons. 

I thank them for their hard work, and their service. 

Following this result, I will step down as party leader…

…not immediately, but once the formal arrangements for selecting my successor are in place. 

It is important that after 14 years in government the Conservative Party rebuilds…

…but also that it takes up its crucial role in Opposition professionally and effectively.

When I first stood here as your Prime Minister, I told you the most important task I had was to return stability to our economy.

Inflation is back to target, mortgage rates are falling, and growth has returned. 

We have enhanced our standing in the world, rebuilding relations with allies…

…leading global efforts to support Ukraine…

…and becoming the home of the new generation of transformative technologies. 

And our United Kingdom is stronger too: with the Windsor Framework, devolution restored in Northern Ireland, and our Union strengthened.

I’m proud of those achievements

I believe this country is safer, stronger, and more secure than it was 20 months ago.

And it is more prosperous, fairer, and resilient than it was in 2010.

Whilst he has been my political opponent, Sir Keir Starmer will shortly become our Prime Minister. 

In this job, his successes will be all our successes, and I wish him and his family well.

Whatever our disagreements in this campaign, he is a decent, public-spirited man, who I respect.

He and his family deserve the very best of our understanding, as they make the huge transition to their new lives behind this door…

…and as he grapples with this most demanding of jobs in an increasingly unstable world.

I would like to thank my colleagues, my Cabinet, the Civil Service - especially here in Downing Street…

…the team at Chequers, my staff, CCHQ…

…but most of all I would like to express my gratitude to my wife Akshata and our beautiful daughters.

I can never thank them enough for the sacrifices they have made so that I might serve our country. 

One of the most remarkable things about Britain is just how unremarkable it is…

…that two generations after my grandparents came here with little, I could become Prime Minister…

…and that I could watch my two young daughters light Diwali candles on the steps in Downing Street.

We must hold true to that idea of who we are…

…that vision of kindness, decency, and tolerance that has always been the British way.

This is a difficult day, at the end of a number of difficult days.  

But I leave this job honoured to have been your Prime Minister. 

This is the best country in the world and that is thanks entirely to you, the British people…

…the true source of all our achievements, our strengths, and our greatness.

Thank you.

 

Source: YouTube (Channel4News) Key words: Starmer first speech 

Good afternoon… 

I have just returned from Buckingham Palace… 

Where I accepted an invitation from His Majesty the King… 

To form the next government of this great nation. 

I want to thank the outgoing Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak. 

His achievement as the first British Asian Prime Minister of our country… 

The extra effort that will have required…  

Should not be underestimated by anyone. 

We pay tribute to that today… 

And we also recognise the dedication and hard work he brought to his leadership.

But now our country has voted, decisively… 

For change.  

For national renewal. 

And a return of politics to public service.

When the gap between the sacrifices made by people… 

And the service they receive from politicians…

Grows this big. 

It leads to a weariness in the heart of a nation.  

A draining away of the hope, the spirit, the belief in a better future…

That we need to move forward, together. 

Now, this wound

This lack of trust… 

Can only be healed by actions not words… 

I know that.  

But we can make a start today… 

With the simple acknowledgment… 

That public service is a privilege.  

And that your government should treat every single person in this country… 

With respect. 

If you voted for Labour yesterday… 

We will carry the responsibility of your trust, as we rebuild our country. 

But whether you voted Labour or not… 

In fact - especially if you did not… 

I say to you, directly…

My government will serve you. 

Politics can be a force for good - we will show that. 

And that is how we will govern. 

Country first, party second. 

Yet, if I’m honest… 

Service is merely a pre-condition for hope. 

And it is surely clear to everyone… 

That our country needs a bigger reset…  

A rediscovery of who we are. 

Because no matter how fierce the storms of history… 

One of the great strengths of this nation…

Has always been our ability to navigate a way through to calmer waters. 

And yet this depends upon politicians… 

Particularly those who stand for stability and moderation - as I do… 

Recognising when we must change course. 

For too long now… 

We have turned a blind eye as millions slid into greater insecurity.  

Nurses, builders, drivers, carers… 

People doing the right thing 

Working harder than ever… 

Recognised - at moments like this, before. 

Yet as soon as the cameras stop rolling… 

Their lives are ignored. 

I want to say very clearly to those people - not this time. 

Changing a country is not like flicking a switch… 

And the world is now a more volatile place. 

This will take a while

But have no doubt that the work of change begins - immediately.

Have no doubt - that we will rebuild Britain… 

With wealth created in every community. 

Our NHS back on its feet, facing the future. 

Secure borders

Safer streets… 

Everyone treated with dignity and respect at work. 

The opportunity of clean British power…

Cutting your energy bills for good

And, brick by brick… 

We will rebuild the infrastructure of opportunity… 

The world class schools and colleges…

The affordable homes that I know… 

Are the ingredients of hope for working people… 

The security that working class families like mine… 

Could build their lives around. 

Because if I asked you, now… 

Whether you believe that Britain will be better for your children… 

I know - too many of you would say: no. 

And so my government will fight, every day… 

Until you believe again. 

From now on… 

You have a government unburdened by doctrine… 

Guided only by a determination to serve your interests…

To defy, quietly…  

Those who have written our country off.  

You have given us a clear mandate… 

And we will use it to deliver change… 

To restore service and respect to politics… 

End the era of noisy performance… 

Tread more lightly on your lives… 

And unite our country. 

Four nations… 

Standing together again… 

Facing down, as we have so often in our past…

The challenges of an insecure world…

Committed - to a calm and patient rebuilding. 

So with respect and humility… 

I invite you all… 

To join this government of service… 

In the mission of national renewal. 

Our work is urgent… 

And we begin it today.

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

I haven´t followed the English electoral process. Only I watched on the BBC that the Labour Party overtook to the Conservative Party more than twenty points the week before last. As you know I wish the best for the English and the Scottish, of course.

I have just read the speech of Mr. Sunak after his resignation and I feel like crying when I have listened things like these:

“You have sent a clear signal that the government must change and your is the only judgement that matters”.

“I have heard your anger, your disappointment, and I take responsibility for this loss”.

“I am sorry that we could not deliver what your efforts deserved”.

“Following this result, I will step down”.

It´s incredible. There are people who are responsible and they think in the general interest.

I didn´t know that Mr. Sunak was emigrant. He said …that two generations after my grandparents came here with little, I could become Prime Minister. He said that he has given his all. This is the past now.

The new PM, Mr. Starmer, said in his speech:

First, a recognition, that is good and very polite. After, he refers to the sacrifices made by people and the service that they receive from politicians. He said that his government is guided only by a determination to serve your interests and they will serve you. What a pity! He may be here. Also he said: “Politics can be a force for good”, but I would tell him that politics must be a force for good. Another pearl: “Country first, party second”. How beautiful!

Therefore, as you have a government unburdened by doctrine and if you believe that Britain will be better for your children, you must join this government for service, demand Mr. Starmer, at the end of his speech. The English will say if he has complied in the future.

See you.
Graham said…
Evening Joseph,

Labour, in terms of seats, won by a landslide. However, they only got 34% of the vote. The Tories lost badly yet there is very little enthusiasm for the new PM. You'll be pleased to hear that the Nationalists in Scotland also suffered a heavy defeat.


I didn't follow the UK elections. I only saw on the BBC that the Labour Party beat the Conservative Party by more than twenty points the week before last. As you know, I wish the best for the English and the Scottish, of course.

I have just read the speech of Mr. Sunak after his resignation and I felt like crying when I heard things like these:

“You have sent a clear signal that the government must change and your is the only judgement that matters”.

“I have heard your anger, your disappointment, and I take responsibility for this loss”.

“I am sorry that we could not deliver what your efforts deserved”.

“Following this result, I will step down”.

It´s incredible. There are people who are responsible and think about the general interest.

I didn´t know that Mr. Sunak was an emigrant. He said that two generations after his grandparents had come to the UK with little, he could become Prime Minister. He said that he had given his all. This is the past now.

The new PM, Mr. Starmer, said in his speech:

First, a recognition, that is good and very polite. He then refers to the sacrifices made by people and the service that they receive from politicians. He said that his government is guided only by a determination to serve their interests and they would serve them. What a pity! He may be here. (No idea what you mean here) He also said: “Politics can be a force for good”, but I would tell him that politics must be a force for good. Another pearl: “Country first, party second”. How beautiful!

Therefore, as you have a government unburdened by doctrine and if you believe that Britain will be better for your children, you must join this government for service, demands Mr. Starmer, at the end of his speech. The English will say if he has complied in the future.