Avocados: the in-fruit

Avocados: Spanish company launches low-fat variety

From Instagram posts to morning smoothies, you cannot seem to escape the avocado in 2017.

But the fruit could soon become even more popular after a Spanish company announced it is launching reduced-fat avocados for the first time.

Isla Bonita claims their Avocado Light has up to 30% less fat than ordinary fruits.

They also say it ripens faster, and oxidises - or goes that weird shade of brown - slower.

The avocados are grown under special soil and climate conditions to provide the same nutritional benefits with less fat, according to the company's website.

Avocados are a foodie hit for their rich and creamy texture caused by their high fat content - an average fruit has between 20-30g of fat.

Most of this is monosaturated fat, which has been linked to the reduction of cholesterol and lowered risk of cancer and heart disease.

But your morning avocado on toast could be less virtuous than you think, with the UK's NHS recommending only one half as a portion size.

A large avocado contains about 330 calories, just under one fifth of the daily recommended intake for an average woman.

The lower fat version is due to launch in Spain later this month at a trade fair in Madrid.

A representative for the company told Fruitnet that the light version could mark the "second big jump in the development of the avocado market".

Last year concerns over an avocado shortage sparked thefts in New Zealand.

The fruit also caused a row in Australia after a newspaper columnist suggested the Millennial generation could not afford to buy houses because they spent too much money on crushed avocado on toast.

Source: BBC News 

Avocado-related tweets:

 

 

Comments

José said…
Hi Graham,



British National Health Service recommends one half of avocado. A large avocado contains about 330 calories, one fifth of the daily recommended intake for an average woman. The avocado is a monounsaturated fat that is beneficial to health. This fruit reduces the cholesterol and lowers the risk of cancer and heart disease. Then, why is it necessary to reduce its fat? I don’t understand the reason for this company wants to eliminate its nutritional benefits.



No way, I’m going to buy light avocados. I don’t like Isla Bonita because its products are not as good as they say. I prefer other brands. This is a European company that belongs to ARC Eurobanan company. Isla Bonita claims their Avocado Light has up to 30% less fat than ordinary fruits but I wonder if an orange has fat. I wonder if an Avocado Light would taste of ordinary avocado. When you reduce the fat of the avocado you are modifying its nature and it isn’t nature product already. It’s possible that this company looks for increasing profits with light label.



I think last paragraph is a joke but the newspaper columnist wants to ridicule people who spend money on fashionable things.



See you.
Graham said…
Hey J!

Have you noticed how nobody says "hola" or "hello" today? "Hey" is how you greet people.

I've been eating avocado for many years now. Admittedly, I never knew how to eat it previously. At first on toast and then I started adding it to salads.

Like sporting a beard, I started eating avocado long before it caught on. You could say I'm a trendsetter. LOL



The British National Health Service recommends (eating) half an avocado. .... I don’t understand the reason why this company wants to eliminate its nutritional benefits.

No way am I going to buy light avocados. I don’t like Isla Bonita because its products are not as good as they say..... When you reduce the fat of the avocado, you are modifying its nature and it then isn’t a natural product. It’s possible that this company is trying to increase profits with its light label.

I think the last paragraph is a joke as the newspaper columnist wants to ridicule people who spend money on fashionable things.



José said…
Hello Graham,



I say “hi” usually because you teach me that “hi” is an ordinary expression to greet people. I suck up you because you tell off me if I don’t do what you order me. I want to be a good student. Anyway, I see that your every student always said “hi” and it will be because they have orders like me. In the future, I will greet with “hello”, “hi” and “hey”. LOL



I know you are from Inverness, that is a big and beautiful town, on the contrary, I’m a villager. I am from a small village. I had never seen avocado up to I came to Madrid. The most similar to an avocado that I had seen it was a melon. You are eating avocado for 30 years ago and you are feeding with omega 3 fatty acids 30 years ago. I understand why you begin and finish a marathon of 20 kilometers, meanwhile I only begin it. However, I’m trendsetter in the lamb of Segovia. LOL



What do you mean with “sporting a beard” please? You will give me an explanation about it in class.



See you.
Graham said…
Hi José,

or "hello". But not "hey" please. Don't follow the flock :-)

I doubt avocados helped me finish a marathon (btw it's 42 km); rather, it was a question of mind over matter.

If you "sport" a beard, it simply means that you have one. It's the in-thing to sport a beard. You might suit one. LOL




I am sucking up to you because you will tell me off if I don’t do as you say. I want to be a good student. Anyway, I see that all your other students always say “hi” and it will be because they have orders like me. In the future, I will greet you with “hello”, “hi” and “hey”. LOL

I know you are from Inverness which is a big and beautiful town. On the contrary, I’m a villager. I am from a small village. I had never seen avocado *until I came to Madrid. The most similar to an avocado that I had seen was a melon. You have been eating avocado for 30 years and started consuming omega 3 fatty acids 30 years ago. I understand why you begin and finish a marathon of 20 kilometers, meanwhile I only begin it. However, I’m a trendsetter in the lamb of Segovia. LOL


* up to = "hasta" + number
I drink up to four coffees a day.