Also, Too, As Well, Either

We use also, too and as well to add extra information.

Also:

It is used more in writing than in speaking.

Like other adverbs, it is usually found before the main verb but after the verb to be.
  • He took up padel last year. He also plays tennis and rugby.
  • I'm off work the last week of August. I am also on holiday the first fortnight in September.
  • My sister's been to Brazil. She's also been to Chile.
  • Be sure to visit the Louvre. You should also go on a boat ride down the Seine.
We sometimes use it at the start of a sentence to emphasize what follows or to add a new point or topic.  
  • You need to write the date at the top. Also, put your signature at the bottom of each page.
  • We can talk about your ideas next week. Also, we should agree on a price.


 
Too:

We usually put it at the end of the clause.
  • He plays tennis and rugby too.
  • I am on holiday the first fortnight in September too.
  • She has been to Chile too.
  • You should go on a boat ride down the Seine too.

It can be used after the subject but this is very formal.
  • I too was disappointed about the result.
  • We, too, thought the reviews were overrated.
It is especially common in response to fixed expressions or responding with a single object pronoun.
  • Have a nice weekend.  - You too.
  • Nice meeting you.  - Nice meeting you too.
  • I have to get up early tomorrow.  - Yeah, me too.

As well
:

It is more common in speaking than writing and more common than also in speaking.

It almost always comes at the end of the clause.
  • He plays tennis and rugby as well.
  • I am on holiday the first fortnight in September as well.
  • She's been to Chile as well.
  • You should go on a boat ride down the Seine as well.
  • I'll have the vegetarian burger.   - Anything else?   - Yes, I'll have chips as well.
  • I'll have the vegetarian burger.  -  Anything else?   - Yes, I'll also have chips.
We use as well as before a noun or a verb.
  • He enjoys listening to jazz as well as classical music.
  • As well as setting up his own business, he has written a book.

Either
:

We use it to connect two negative ideas (with also, too and as well we can't).
  • He doesn't speak German.  - I don't either. (/ Me neither.)
  • He doesn't speak German.  - I also don't.
  • I don't eat meat and I don't eat fish either.
  • I don't eat meat and I don't eat fish as well.
  • I haven't done my homework.  .- Don't worry. I haven't done it either. (/ Me neither.)
  • I haven't done my homework.  - Don't worry. I haven't done it too.

Comments