Word games (1)
Add a letter to "_ear" to male a word that fits the following sentences:
eg There are usually 365 days in a _ear. 2012 is a leap _ear so it has 366 days.
eg A _ear is a greenish-coloured fruit.
If a plan goes _ear-shaped, it fails. I had planned to go away at Easter but it all went _ear-shaped.
1. The _ear is the symbol of Madrid. There is a statue of one in Puerta del Sol.
I can't _ear the suspense. Please tell me if I've passed.
2. I have a _ear of heights. What are you afraid of?
3. You should be in fifth _ear when you are driving at 100kph.
4. That was a _ear miss - you almost hit the bicycle.
5. _ear Rachel,
I'm sorry I haven't written before now.
I like the restaurant but it is very _ear. The one next to the office is less expensive.
6. Speak up. I can't _ear you.
7. You have to _ear a seat belt in the back seat too.
Don't worry. The effects of the drug will _ear off very soon.
8. Go down this corridor until the very end. His office is at the _ear of the building.
9. He didn't shed a _ear when he was told the upsetting news.
10. I _ear up all the paper when I'm finished with it.
There's a _ear in your jeans - have you noticed?
year /jɪər/ and pear /peər/ don't rhyme.
Which of the ten above words rhyme with year and which rhyme with pear?