See you later

There are many expressions that I find annoying. Either they are overused or in fashion or just plain wrong.

"See you later" is guilty on all three counts. It is top of my list of the expressions that get on my nerves.

Suddenly it seems that everyone is saying it. Where did it come from? (American films or Australian soaps are likely culprits). Until not long ago, a "goodbye" or simply "see you" could be heard. But not now....

I am not going to see you later - I'm off home to bed. I might not even see you tomorrow. Nor next week. God knows when I'll see you next.

I've even heard people say it when going to stay in another country. It is their departing line. I might not ever see you again. What are you saying?!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I was driving out of a supermarket at home in the summer. They had put up a sign with yes.....  Ahhhhhh!


Comments

Roberto said…
Ja,ja... I´m not sure,but I think "What´s up?" is a slang expression,imported from American black people. In Spain we say "Hasta luego" all the time(even I´m not going to see you later),but I know in english is different. There are some expression in spanish that gets on my nerves too,like "Malo no...lo siguiente!".
Graham said…
Hi Roberto,

I will listen out for "malo no... lo sigiente". I can't remember ever hearing it. What does it mean exactly?

I know some people who always say "qué te iba a decir?"
I wish they'd stop saying it all the time.

And on the TV news, when replying to the presenter, journalists always start with "efectivamente". It is really annoying.

It's not only annoying expressions of others, I have some of my own.

For some odd reason, I have started saying "in theory" a lot. I can't stand it but I can't help saying it.

So if you catch me saying it in class, please tell me off. :-)

Roberto said…
It means "something very bad","no bad...worst!",something like that. I used to say "En un momento dado...",and "y tal",there are only "muletillas"(I don´t know the english word),without any meaning.
Graham said…
Roberto,

A word or phrase that someone always repeats is their pet word / pet phrase. I had to look it up.

Be careful with worse and the worst.
Roberto said…
Yes,I always get confused with these two words...