Model muddle

Next Top Model 'Wrong Winner' Blunder

The supermodel host of Australia's Next Top Model has been left red-faced after she announced the wrong winner of the TV contest.

Sarah Murdoch was close to tears after realising she had mistakenly said 19-year old Kelsey Martinovich was the winner of the Foxtel TV series during the show's live finale.

Martinovich had completed her acceptance speech before Murdoch backtracked on stage to reveal the real winner from a public vote was 18-year-old Amanda Ware.

"I don't know what to say right now. I'm feeling a bit sick about this," Murdoch told a 2,000-strong audience.

"I'm so sorry. Oh my God, I don't know what to say. This is what happens when you have live TV folks. This is insane, insane, insane."

But Martinovich was gracious in her sudden defeat, saying: "It's okay" over and over and repeatedly congratulating Ware.

The disastrous event was dissected in real time on Twitter, and it became an international trending topic immediately.

Prominent blogger Mia Freedman sent a sympathetic tweet to Murdoch: "Oh @SarahAMurdoch you handled that with grace. I wouldn't want to be the person who fed you the wrong name."

Speaking after the muddle, Murdoch told the A Current Affair programme: "The last thing that was communicated to me through my earpiece was: 'Kelsey one, Amanda two.'

"So I went into the read, the winner of Australia's next top model is... Nothing. [I heard] nothing.

"So all I knew was the last thing - 'Kelsey one, Amanda two' - so of course [I thought], Kelsey's the winner."

Foxtel publicity director Jamie Campbell blamed a miscommunication between series directors in a broadcasting truck control room and Murdoch on stage.

She said: "Sarah handled what was a difficult situation with utmost professionalism and grace. Amanda and Kelsey were neck and neck in the voting all night."

Martinovich may have had a short-lived reign as Australia's Next Top Model, but it was not all bad news.

Foxtel said she would receive a £12,000 cash prize and trip to New York as consolation.

Ware won an appearance in Harper's Bazaar magazine, a modelling contract, £12,000, a trip to New York and a car.

After the show, she said: "I realise what a great opportunity this is. Once it all settles in, I can start thinking about the future, but for now I am just so happy."

Source: Sky News

 Source: You Tube (Peop Hoofd) Key words: Australia wrong winner model


Take a look at this model who had difficulties in answering a question.

Comments