Madrid 2020 - 3rd time lucky?

Madrid beaten in the final vote for the 2016 Olympics

Madrid has failed for the second consecutive attempt to host the Olympics. The 2016 games will be held in Latin America for the first time in Rio de Janeiro.


Source: typicallyspanish.com
Vocabulary:

to beat -

to host -

to hold (an event) -

defeat (n/v) -

at the first hurdle -

despite -

to turn your back on -

a plea -

What do you think of the decision? Are you surprised? Are you disappointed or relieved? Why?

Do you think Rio deserved to win and do you think they will have a successful Games?

Do you think Madrid should enter the race for the 2020 Olympics?


I am quite glad that Madrid didn't win. I think there are enough roadworks and disruption in general as it is, without having the Olympics here.

Some people might think that with one final push, Madrid will win the 2020 Games but I hope that Madrid won't even try to get them.

Comments

Javier said…
Hi Graham!!

I think it's a silly decision because Madrid was the best city candidate.
But all people knew that the city how organized could not repeat the same continent, although i had the hope that Madrid will be chosen.
I think Madrid will try another chance for 2020 and probably will win because the IOC owe Madrid it!(Que chapuza!)
What do you think about it?
Graham said…
Hi Javier!

How's the new course going? I am sure you are improving more and more.


I think it's a silly decision because Madrid was the best CANDIDATE CITY.

But EVERYONE knew that the city WHICH organized THE GAMES could not BE ON THE SAME CONTINENT AS THE PREVIOUS ONES, although i had HOPED that Madrid WOULD be chosen.

I think Madrid will HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE for 2020 and probably will win because the IOC OWES IT TO MADRID!(Que chapuza!)
What do you think about it?

I disagree with you. I think any of the four cities would be capable of organizing the Olympic Games.

I think it was a mistake for Madrid to enter the race for 2016 especially when everyone thought the same as you; you can't have them twice in a row in the same continent.

And I don't think that the IOC owes Madrid anything.

Were you one of those at Plaza de Oriente shouting "tongo"/"fix" when the result was announced? :-)

Well your team - Real Madrid, might have better luck than its home town and win all the cups possible.