Penelope Cruz speaking English

Source: You Tube (The New York Times) Key Words: Penelope Cruz screen test

How do you rate her English? Can you answer the following questions? Write a summary of what she talks about.

Where did Penelope live when she was very young?

When did she first think about trying to become an actress?

How does she feel about New York?

How does she feel about LA?

When did she first see the film "Tie me up, tie me down"?

What was she doing when Almodovar called her for the first time? How did she react? What did she used to do that shows how obsessed she was with Almodovar? What did Almodovar promise her?

What do people think of Woody Allen in Spain? What memories does she have about the film "Deconstrucitng Harry"? What normally happens when people have a meeting with Woody Allen? Why was she surprised by the audience's reaction in Cannes?

What often happens the day after the Oscars? What did she do after the ceremony?

What did ballet teach her?


 
Source: You Tube(smiledtn40)  Key words: Penelope Cruz Ellen

Was it easy for you to follow her?

What were some of the questions that Ellen asked?

What did Penelope say?


Comments

Mercedes Pastor said…
Hi, it's wonderful when you listen at Penélope Cruz speaks english and you can understand all that she is saying. She speaks fluently and her accent is "typical spanish". I think so.
Graham said…
Hi, it's wonderful when you LISTEN TO Penélope Cruz SPEAKING IN English and you can understand all that she is saying. She speaks fluently and her accent is TYPICALLY Spanish. AT LEAST, I think so.

(languages, nationalities etc have capital letters!)

I agree. Her accent is undoubtedly a strong Spanish one. Do you see how it hasn't stopped her from achieving success?

Have you seen the other videos of Xavi Alonso, Esperanza Aguirre and Javier Bardem in the blog?
Estela said…
Hi!
I´m so happy because I have understand every word in this listening. Is the first time I can do it! The problem is that Penelope isn´t a native speaker and it´s so difficult to find an exam with this kind of exercise.
I´m going to try with another one.
Graham said…
Hi Estela

It's a good feeling when you understand something without any problems. You should answer the questions below the video to see if you really have understood as much as you say.

I´m so happy because I HAVE UNDERSTOOD every word in this listening. IT IS the first time I can do it!

Who do you think has the best English? Pé? Espe? Javi? ZP?

Look under labels at the listening category and you will find other tasks to do.
Natalia said…
I thought Javier Bardem had a strong accent but Penelope's is worst!
It's true she achieved succes but I think she have only played hispanic characters. I think her accent keeps her away from more important roles. For exemple, Marion Cotillard is French and she have played a lot of important american characters!
Perhaps I am too critic because I don't like her too much...
I can answer some of your questions: for exemple she was drying her hair in the bathroom when Almodovar first called!(I dont believe this story....)
See you!
Graham said…
I think both are much more popular outside of Spain. I get the impression that most Spaniards dislike them.

I thought Javier Bardem had a strong accent but Penelope's is WORSE!
It's true she achieved SUCCESS but I think SHE HAS only played hispanic characters. I think her accent keeps her away from more important roles. For example, Marion Cotillard is French and SHE HAS played a lot of important American characters!
Perhaps I AM BEING TOO CRITICAL because I don't like her THAT MUCH...
I can answer some of your questions: for EXAMPLE she was drying her hair in the bathroom when Almodovar first called!(I dont believe this story....)

Neither do I believe her.