Wimbledon - even Nadal is blogging!

Source: Carlo Bazzo on Unsplash 

Rafael Nadal is writing a
blog as he participates in the tournament of Wimbledon. It doesn't make difficult reading. Don't rely on it for grammatical accuracy - how many mistakes can you spot?


Do you think Rafael will conquer Wimbledon at last?

Hi everyone,

Well, to be honest with all, if it was for me, I would only talk about football all night. I am writing this blog tonight a couple of hours after Spain has defeated Russia and qualified to play the final of the Eurocup of football. Big night for us Spaniards, very big. I love football and everyone knows it. I had a great time today and I am very proud of what the guys have done. What a match, what a team we have. I believe they can really win the whole thing and that could be historical for my country. I might sound a bit over excited, but you know what, I really am.

I watched the match again at home, at the house I have rented during my stay at Wimbledon. I had my team with me, the people travelling to the tournaments with me, also Feliciano Lopez and his team. We had a great time before and after and I am writing this short blog today before going to sleep.

I have been asked if did really ask the organisation to play early. And yes I did. I am not sure if this is very professional. Why not? we can do both, hhuhh? We can play our tournament and also be looking forward to watch football. I did ask to play early so that I could be on time to watch the match. It is not only the tennis match itself that it was also pretty long (almost 4 hours). But after that I have some work in the changing room with my physiotherapist and then all the media and TV. That takes almost 1.5 hours.

Tomorrow I *have that half day off as I call it since after practice I will take it easy and rest. Maybe it is not the right day to go for that ride on The Thames. Maybe next week if I am still at the tournament.

Many thanks to all and allow me to say today: Viva España !

Rafa
Source: The Times

Spotlight on vocabulary:

Tomorrow I *have that half day off.

If you have some time off, you don't go to work.
  • Jane: Where's the boss today? Gillian: You can relax. He has the day off.
  • I really need a couple of days off to sort out my problems at home.
  • I'm going to take next week off and go to visit my friends in Barcelona.

If you had the day off, what would you do?

If you ever feel bad about your level of English, just listen to this short interview with Nadal. He surely can afford the best English teachers but could a native English speaker understand much of what he says?

Source; You Tube (1Thomas2000)  Key Words: Nadal funny English

Scanning down Nadal's latest tweets, I see that most of  them are advertising a product ...

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

Rafael Nadal is the best sporty of the world, in two meanings, as much he practices the best sports technical because he wins almost always, as he is sport because he is a good boy. I think he gets on well with his partners and he is liked by everyone.

But, said that, it´s not interesting for me neither his ads, nor his millions. I have just seen his ads and I look them like gloomy. I hope that he manages his fortune better and he invest it in job creation because this country needs a lot of employments.

Finally, his English and his blog it´s not my business. As I think that I am going to learn nothing from that, I don´t mind. We always think that we know more than others, in English, at computing, at politics or at football, but Mr. Nadal doesn´t have anything to teach to your students who participate in your blog.

See you.
Graham said…
Good afternoon Joseph,

It is true that Nadal is well liked and widely admired but, as I'm sure you already know, I can't stand the guy. There is no doubting his ability and his great sporting achievements but I see no evidence of the great guy that everyone says he is. I frantically search for the remote control whenever he pops up on the telly. He may be an entertaining player but he has zero personality off court. I've just had a glance at his twitter feed - there's a picture of him enjoying a beer with his friends but really he is just promoting the Amstel brand. He has a twitter account, not to keep in touch with his legion of fans but to add to his already astronomical earnings.



Rafael Nadal is the best sportsman in the world, in two senses, in that technically, he plays the best game because he almost always wins, and he is a good sport (person who is not rude or angry about losing / someone who is kind or generous). I think he gets on well with his mates and he is liked by everyone. (mate = friend = colega / partner = pareja / colleagues = compañero de trabajo)

But, that said / having said that, I am neither interested in his ads nor his millions. I have just seen his ads and they make me feel gloomy / depress me. I hope that he manages his fortune better and he invests it in job creation because this country needs a lot of employment.

Finally, his English and his blog is none of my business. As I think that I am going to learn nothing from it, I don´t care. We always think that we know more than others, in English, at computing, about politics or football, but Mr. Nadal doesn´t have anything to teach your students who participate in your blog.