S Body Words

Match the following expressions to their definitions. Then make some examples of your own with them.

  1. I thought she really liked me but the next day she gave me the cold shoulder.
  2. We had to pull over on the hard shoulder when smoke started coming from the engine.
  3. He has had a chip on his shoulder ever since he didn't get the promotion he was expecting.
  4. Future generations will have to shoulder the burden of our mistakes.
  5. Nicholas, for a time, was able to rub shoulders with top politicians and even royalty.
  6. She is undeniably gorgeous but as they say - beauty is only skin deep.
  7. Nadal went through to the next round but only by the skin of his teeth.
  8. Nowadays you need to have a thick skin if you want to be in the public eye.
  9. My job interview is tomorrow so I have butterflies in my stomach.
  10. I didn't have the stomach for another fight.
  11. MPs couldn`t stomach the proposals and rebelled against the government.
  12. The images from the war-torn country turned my stomach.


A: the side of a main road where a driver can stop if there is a serious problem

B: very narrowly, only just

C: to make someone feel sick, often because they are angry or upset about something

D: to meet and spend time with someone

E:  an angry attitude from someone who feels unfairly treated

F:  to feel very nervous, usually about something you are going to do

G: not easily upset by criticism

H:  to be able to accept an unpleasant idea or watch something unpleasant

I:  to intentionally ignore someone or treat someone in an unfriendly way

J:  used to say that a person's character is more important than how they look

K: to not feel brave or determined enough to do something unpleasant

L: to assume or take on as a responsibility

Comments

Sir Joseph said…
Hi Graham,

1-I
2-A
3-E
4-L
5-D
6-J
7-B
8-G
9-F
10-H
11-K
12-C

1.- Mi boss give me the cold shoulder because I don´t do overtime.

2.- After the traffic accident remains were on the hard shoulder.

3.- My friend had had a chip on his shoulder since I graduated as a lawyer.

4.- People must shoulder the burden life-changing.

5.- I don´t like to rub shoulders with yes-man people.

6.- Beauty is only skin deep and you receive without effort.

7. My friend ended his degree by the skin of his teeth.

8.- There are politicians who have a thick skin although they were insulted.

9.- I have butterflies in my stomach because I will have English class with my Scottish teacher tomorrow.

10.- I don´t have the stomach for defend criminals.

11.- I can´t stomach hot and the stupidity.

12.- I turn my stomach whom justify dictatorship.

See you.
Graham said…
Good morning Joe,

100% right - a gold star for you!

Now let's see if you have done as well with the example sentences:

1.- My boss gives me the cold shoulder because I don´t do overtime.

2.- After the traffic accident, there was debris all over the hard shoulder. (debris (a French word) - broken pieces of sth whereas remains is usually of a dead body)

3.- My friend had had a chip on his shoulder since I graduated as a lawyer.🤩

4.- People must shoulder the burden of big changes in their lives.

5.- I don´t like to rub shoulders with yes-men. (No doubt we shouldn't say men to refer to everyone nowadays)

6.- Beauty is only skin deep and you receive it without any effort.

7. My friend ended his degree by the skin of his teeth.🤩

8.- There are politicians who have a thick skin although they were insulted. ( Don't think thi makes sense) Politicans need to have a thick skin because of the insults that are flung at them.

9.- I have butterflies in my stomach because I will have English class with my Scottish teacher tomorrow.🤩

10.- I don´t have the stomach to defend criminals. (have the stomach for sth / to do sth)

11.- I can´t stomach heat or stupidity.

12.- Those who justify dictatorship turn my stomach.